If you want to save money, the best way to get cheaper Mercury Montego insurance in Oakland is to start comparing prices yearly from providers who can sell car insurance in California. This can be done by completing these steps.
- Get an understanding of coverages and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that result in higher prices like inattentive driving and a poor credit rating can be remedied by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Later in this article we will cover the details to lower rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers. Find an Oakland insurance agent
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and switch companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Notify your current company to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment along with a signed application for your new policy. Once coverage is bound, place the new certificate of insurance with the vehicle registration.
The most important part of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare identical coverages on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and a better comparison of the market.
We don’t have to tell you that car insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. People who compare rates annually will probably switch to a new company because there are good odds of finding a lower-priced policy. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved on average $3,400 over four years compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest rates on Mercury Montego insurance in Oakland is the reason you’re reading this, then having a grasp of the best way to shop and compare coverage rates can make it easier for you to save money.
If you have a current insurance policy, you will be able to cut your premiums using the tips covered below. Shopping for the lowest cost policy in Oakland is not as time-consuming as you think. But California car owners can benefit from knowing how companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Why Informed Consumers Pay Less for Mercury Montego Insurance
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that are used to determine your car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that could result in lower rates.
Good credit saves on car insurance – Having a good credit score is likely to be a major factor in determining what you pay. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you could be paying less to insure your Mercury Montego by improving your rating. Insureds with excellent credit tend to be more responsible than those with lower credit scores.
Remove unneeded incidental coverages – There are many optional add-on coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Insurance for coverage for rental cars, accident forgiveness, and term life insurance are probably not needed. They may seem good when deciding what coverages you need, but if you have no use for them consider taking them off your policy.
Do you have enough liability? – The liability coverage on your policy provides coverage if ever you are found liable for an accident. It will provide for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. It is affordable coverage compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Safer cars save money – Cars with high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. These vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Mercury Montego earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
Premiums and employer – Careers such as judges, airline pilots, and miners generally have higher rates than the rest of us because of intense work-related stress and incredibly demanding work hours. Other professions such as actors, athletes and homemakers pay the least.
Marriage equates to better costs – Walking down the aisle actually saves money on your car insurance bill. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Auto insurance discounts are available to get cheap rates
Some insurance providers don’t always list their entire list of discounts very clearly, so we break down some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid the installment charge.
- Good Student Discount – This discount can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
- Onboard Data Collection – Policyholders that allow their auto insurance company to analyze driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
- Paper-free Discount – A few larger online companies may give you up to $50 for signing up over the internet.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims before the accident.
- Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% with some auto insurance companies.
- ABS Brakes – Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers may receive lower premium rates.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
A list of auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- Travelers has savings for IntelliDrive, good student, new car, save driver, and payment discounts.
- 21st Century offers discounts including theft prevention, student driver, driver training, defensive driver, good student, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and anti-theft.
- GEICO has discounts for driver training, federal employee, emergency military deployment, air bags, multi-policy, defensive driver, and seat belt use.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include teen safe driver, homeowner, teen safety rewards, accident prevention training, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including good student, good driver, multi-car, pay-in-full, and education and occupation.
Before buying, ask all the companies what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not apply in Oakland. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Oakland, click here.
More quotes mean more car insurance savings
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, questionable increases in premium, denial of a claim and not issuing a premium refund. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new company can be pretty painless.
As you quote Oakland car insurance, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost.
Affordable Mercury Montego insurance in Oakland can be purchased from both online companies in addition to many Oakland insurance agents, so you need to quote Oakland car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who may not have the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agents.
Even more information can be read at these sites:
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Unemployed Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in Oakland? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)