It’s well known that insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Insureds who shop around are inclined to move their business because they have good chances of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A study discovered that drivers who made a habit of comparing rates saved on average $3,400 over four years compared to those who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the most affordable Oldsmobile Alero insurance in Oakland is your ultimate goal, then learning about how to shop for insurance rates can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find low-cost prices for auto insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from companies who provide car insurance in Oakland. You can compare prices by following these steps.
Step 1: Gain an understanding of what is in your policy and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that result in higher prices like high-risk driving behaviors and a substandard credit history can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover more information to get low prices and find possible discounts that are available.
Step 2: Request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Step 4: Provide proper notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your existing policy and submit a completed application and payment for your new coverage. Once the application is submitted, place the new proof of insurance certificate along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One tip to remember is to make sure you enter identical coverages on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as possible. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Finding the cheapest auto insurance coverage in Oakland is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. In a nutshell, everyone who comparison shops for auto insurance stands a good chance to find a cheaper policy. But California vehicle owners need to learn the way insurance companies price insurance differently.
When looking for affordable Oldsmobile Alero insurance quotes, there are a couple ways to compare rate quotes from different Oakland insurance companies. The best way to lower the rate you pay for Oldsmobile Alero insurance is simply to get online rate quotes.
Comparing quotes online is fast and free, and it makes it a waste of time to actually drive to each insurance agency near you. Buying insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you’re the type of person who wants the advice and guidance of a licensed agent. Although, it is possible get the lowest quotes online and still use a local agent. Just keep in mind that making a lot of price comparisons increases the chance that you will find a lower rate than you’re paying now.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in California. If your goal is to find the cheapest car insurance in CA, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get the cheapest price.
Car insurance in California serves several purposes
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure an Oldsmobile in Oakland, buying car insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Oldsmobile Alero, it’s guaranteed your bank will stipulate that you have insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Oldsmobile at a more expensive rate and require you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Oldsmobile but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. An average driver in America overpays more than $869 every year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to save money.
Insurance Price Influencing Factors
A large part of saving on insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that go into determining your premiums. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower rates.
The itemized list below are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by companies to determine your rate level.
GPS tracking and theft deterrents reduce prices – Choosing to buy a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop car theft.
Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Vehicles engineered for safety have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders.
Insurance policy lapses lead to higher insurance rates – Driving with no insurance can get your license suspended and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage may earn you fines or a revoked license. You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Increase physical damage deductibles and save – The deductibles you choose represent how much money you are required to spend if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage insurance, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be collision with another vehicle, vandalism, and damage caused by road hazards. The higher the amount you have to pay, the less your insurance will be.
Teen drivers are expensive to insure – Teen drivers in California are statistically shown to get distracted easily when driving therefore insurance rates are much higher. Older insureds tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to your policy, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are unique to you and your car insurance should be unique as well.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Persistence pays off
Lower-priced car insurance in Oakland can be found from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Oakland, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not offer rate quotes online and many times these regional carriers work with independent agents.
We just showed you some good ideas how to lower your Oldsmobile Alero insurance premium rates in Oakland. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Oakland auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates are with a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
More information can be found at these links:
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Male in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Oakland Car Insurance Rates for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)