If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to save money on car insurance rates in Oakland is to regularly compare quotes from companies that insure vehicles in California. You can shop around by following these steps.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the measures you can control to keep rates low. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like inattentive driving and a low credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article provides tips to lower rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if you can save on Cruze insurance in Oakland. If you find a lower rate, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide written notification to your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. When you receive it, keep the new certificate verifying coverage along with your vehicle registration.
An important note is to compare the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to compare all possible companies. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Unfortunately, about 70% of customers kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and just under half have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. American insurance shoppers could save up to 46.5% every year just by comparing rates, but they don't believe the amount of money they would save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
The fastest way that we advise to compare insurance rates in your area is to know the fact auto insurance companies participate in a system to quote your coverage. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is give the companies some data including how much coverage you want, your job, how you use your vehicles, and the ages of drivers. Those rating factors is then submitted to insurance carriers in your area and they return cost estimate very quickly.
To find the cheapest Chevy Cruze insurance rates, click here and complete the quick form.
The companies in the list below provide free quotes in Oakland, CA. To locate cheap auto insurance in Oakland, CA, we suggest you get prices from several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Check for these discounts
Some insurers don't necessarily list all their discounts very well, so below is a list a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Online Discount - Some of the larger companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy on the internet.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you can combine your home and auto policy with the same company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Successfully completing a defensive driving class is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Options like air bags can qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Mature Driver Discount - Seniors may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Discount for Life Insurance - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn better prices if you take out some life insurance too.
- One Accident Forgiven - Not really a discount, but a few companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO permit an accident without the usual rate increase as long as you don't have any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies don't profit that way.
Some companies that may offer many of the previously listed discounts include:
If you are trying to find affordable Oakland auto insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. To find providers with the best discounts in Oakland, click here.
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Even though Oakland Cruze insurance rates can get expensive, paying for auto insurance is required in California but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will require that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your Cruze outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying over $865 each year so it's important to compare rates at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Auto insurance is unique, just like you
When quoting and comparing your policy, there really is not a "best" method to buy coverage. Everyone's situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Is my Chevy Cruze covered for smoke damage?
- Is my trailer covered?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Get rate quotes but buy from a neighborhood Oakland auto insurance agent
A lot of people still like to have an agent's advice and often times that is recommended A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local agents is especially important in Oakland.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can provide free Oakland auto insurance quotes to get your business. There is no reason to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. It's the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific company, you can always visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
When looking for a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents and how they operate. Auto insurance policy providers can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent agencies often have affiliation with several companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house and you don't have to find a new agent. When shopping rates, you will definitely want to check rates from multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Oakland that may be able to give you free auto insurance rate quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents generally can only insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. They are trained well on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agents in Oakland who can help you get price quote information.
Finding a good insurance agent requires more thought than just a low price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Is there a local claims center in Oakland?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- How are claims handled?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Oakland?
Upon receiving good responses and a low price estimate, you may have found a car insurance agent that is professional and can insure your vehicles. Just remember it's your policy and you can cancel your coverage at any time so never feel that you're stuck with a policy with no way to switch.