Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly the majority have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. Many consumers in California could cut their rates by 35% a year, but they don't understand how simple it is to shop around.
The best way to get affordable Chevy Silverado insurance is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers in Oakland.
- First, try to comprehend how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause rate increases such as traffic citations and your credit history can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Later in this article we will cover the details to get cheaper coverage and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your agent or company to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment and a completed application for the new policy. Immediately place your new proof of insurance paperwork above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One key aspect when comparing rates is that you use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to compare as many companies as feasibly possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
How to shop Chevy Silverado insurance online
Most of the larger companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive allow you to get pricing on the web. Doing online price comparisons for Chevy Silverado insurance in Oakland is easy for anyone as all you need to do is type in the coverages you want as detailed in the form. After you complete the form, their quoting system pulls your credit score and driving record and returns pricing information.
The ability to get online quotes for Chevy Silverado insurance in Oakland makes comparing rates easy, and it's also necessary to perform this step if you are searching for lower-cost rates.
In order to find out how much you're overpaying now, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you duplicate the insurance coverages as close as possible to your current policy. Doing this assures you are getting an apples-to-apples comparison for similar coverage.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide price quotes in California. If your goal is to find the best auto insurance in California, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Data for Chevy Silverado insurance
The data table displayed next showcases different rate quotes for Chevy Silverado models. Learning as much as possible about how insurance policy premiums are established can help guide drivers when making informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$276||$382||$654||$38||$196||$1,546||$129|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$276||$382||$578||$34||$174||$1,444||$120|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$316||$464||$654||$38||$196||$1,668||$139|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$316||$464||$654||$38||$196||$1,668||$139|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$316||$464||$578||$34||$174||$1,566||$131|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$316||$464||$578||$34||$174||$1,566||$131|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$316||$464||$654||$38||$196||$1,668||$139|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$316||$464||$654||$38||$196||$1,668||$139|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$358||$546||$578||$34||$174||$1,690||$141|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$358||$546||$654||$38||$196||$1,792||$149|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$358||$546||$578||$34||$174||$1,690||$141|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$358||$546||$654||$38||$196||$1,792||$149|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$358||$546||$654||$38||$196||$1,792||$149|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$358||$546||$578||$34||$174||$1,690||$141|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$358||$546||$654||$38||$196||$1,792||$149|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$358||$546||$578||$34||$174||$1,690||$141|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$358||$630||$578||$34||$174||$1,774||$148|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$398||$630||$578||$34||$174||$1,814||$151|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in garaging location in Oakland which can alter coverage prices noticeably.
Chevy Silverado Insurance Rates Can Be Reduced
When buying auto insurance it's important to understand some of the things that play a part in calculating your premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
- How much liability insurance - The liability section of your policy will provide protection when you are ruled to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. This coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. It is affordable coverage compared to comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
Pay more by driving carelessly - Drivers who don't get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to those with violations. Having just one citation may cause rates to rise to the point where it's not affordable. Drivers who get multiple violations such as reckless driving or DUI are required to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims impact Chevy Silverado annual premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The costs are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Low physical damage deductibles cost more - Insurance for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers your vehicle from damage. Some coverage claims are running into the backend of another car, hitting a deer, and rolling your vehicle. Your deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more money you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the better rate you will receive.
- Marriage discount - Having a significant other helps lower the price on your policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more financially stable and insurance companies like that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Deter theft and pay less - Driving a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you some money. Theft deterrent systems such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
Insurance losses for a Chevy Silverado - Insurers analyze historical claim data when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that the data shows to have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table shown below demonstrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Chevy Silverado vehicles. For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is considered to be 100. Values below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values that are 100 or greater point to more losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Silverado Vehicles Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD 76 118 85 78 69 125 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD 60 76 72 54 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 89 103 131 77 70 94 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 96 105 116 57 57 87 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 90 126 100 88 85 117 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 84 98 89 60 60 88 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD 60 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD 66 97 66 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 76 127 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 88 114 97 45 42 82 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD 80 54 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 79 105 83 37 43 75 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD 65 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 98 127 108 54 39 76 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD 129 127BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Car insurance in California serves several purposes
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Oakland, maintaining insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, most states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, most banks will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy at a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Silverado more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average American driver overpays more than $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.