If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find low-cost prices for car insurance rates is to compare prices annually from providers who provide car insurance in Oakland.
- First, read about what is in your policy and the things you can control to keep rates down. Many risk factors that cause rate increases like tickets, at-fault accidents, and poor credit history can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Continue reading for tips to prevent expensive rate increases and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for many different companies. Get quotes now
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the newly selected company. Once the application is submitted, place the new proof of insurance paperwork above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One thing to point out is that you use similar coverage information on every quote and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Smart shoppers know that car insurance companies don't want you quoting rates from other companies. Insureds who compare other rates will, in all likelihood, move their business because the odds are good of finding a cheaper policy. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who shopped around every year saved as much as $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around.
If finding budget-friendly auto insurance is the reason you're reading this, learning how to find companies and compare insurance coverage can save money and time.
Quoting and comparing rates for affordable protection in Oakland is not as confusing as people think. Nearly everyone who compares rate quotes for insurance should find a better price. Nevertheless, California drivers need to learn how insurance companies sell insurance online and use it to your advantage.
Decisions You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Premiums
It's important that you understand a few of the rating criteria that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find lower premium levels. Lots of things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, but others are not as apparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
The list below includes some of the most rate-impacting factors used by your company to calculate your rates.
You might pay higher rates if you are single - Having a significant other can actually save you money when shopping for insurance. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Liability protection - Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you in the event that you are found liable for damages from an accident. It provides legal defense to defend your case. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Minor frequent policy claims are not good - If you frequently file small claims, you shouldn't be surprised to get higher rates. Auto insurance companies in California generally give discounts to drivers who file claims infrequently. Your car insurance is designed for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
Gender as a rate factor - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. The data does not necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Females and males tend to get into auto accidents in similar percentages, but males have accidents that have higher claims. Men also tend to receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI).
Always keep your coverage in place - Allowing your insurance policy to lapse is a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance could result in a license revocation or jail time. Then you may be required to file a SR-22 with the California DMV.
Loss probability for a Chevy SS - Insurers use statistical claims data to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Vehicles that statistically have higher losses will be charged more to insure. The information below illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Chevy SS vehicles.
For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles averaged together is set at 100. Percentages below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or statistically larger losses.
|Specific Chevrolet Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Shop around and save
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
We just covered a lot of techniques to reduce Chevy SS insurance rates online in Oakland. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
A few companies may not provide rate quotes online and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agencies. Lower-priced auto insurance in Oakland is definitely available online as well as from insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
More information can be found on the following sites:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for First-time Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for College Graduates in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for Homeowners? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)