If you want to save money, the best way to get discount Fiat 500 insurance is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers in Oakland. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Get a basic knowledge of how insurance works and the things you can control to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like your driving record and a negative credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article gives information to help prevent expensive coverage and get additional discounts.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper rate is available in Oakland. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new insurance company. Make sure you place the new proof of insurance certificate in your glove compartment.
A crucial key to this process is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and and to get price estimates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This provides a level playing field and the best price quote selection.
A recent auto insurance study discovered that 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Consumers in Oakland could pocket 35% a year just by comparing rates, but they just don’t understand the rate savings if they replace their high priced policy.
How to lower your Fiat 500 insurance cost in Oakland
Most major insurance companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO allow you to get pricing direct online. Getting online quotes for Fiat 500 insurance in Oakland is very simple because you just enter your personal and coverage information as detailed in the form. After you submit the form their rating system makes automated requests for your driving and credit reports and returns a price quote based on these factors. Being able to quote online for Fiat 500 insurance in Oakland makes comparing rates easy, and it is important to do this if you want to find a better rate.
If you want to get comparison pricing now, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you input the coverage information just like they are on your policy. This way, you are getting a fair comparison for exact coverage.
The following companies can provide price quotes in Oakland, CA. If you want cheap auto insurance in Oakland, CA, we suggest you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Choosing the best Fiat 500 insurance in California is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a Fiat 500 in Oakland, insuring your vehicle is required in California but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your 500, almost every bank will force you to have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Fiat at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your Fiat 500 and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your Fiat gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays as much as $820 a year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
How Insurance Companies Calculate Fiat 500 Insurance Prices
Lots of factors are used when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although some other factors are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” insurance companies consider when setting prices.
High coverage deductibles equal low rates – Insurance for physical damage to your car, aka comp and collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Some examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and damage from a fallen tree branch. The deductibles define the amount you are required to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The more expense the insured is willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
How many miles do you drive? – The higher the miles on your Fiat each year the more you’ll pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies charge rates based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate than vehicles that have high annual mileage. An improperly rated 500 is throwing money out the window. It’s always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet states the correct driver usage.
Premiums drop with age – Teen drivers in California are proven to be inattentive in a vehicle and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher. Older insureds are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets.
Safer vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. Vehicles built for safety reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates. If your Fiat 500 is rated at a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
Obey driving laws and save – Having a clean driving record has a big impact on rates. Drivers with clean records pay lower auto insurance prices compared to bad drivers. Having a single citation can increase rates substantially. Drivers with serious tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
Fiat 500 insurance loss statistics – Car insurance companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to help determine the price you pay. Models that the data determines to have high amounts or severity of claims will have higher premium rates.
The next table illustrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Fiat 500 vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is a value of 100. Percentage numbers below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 point to more losses or a tendency for losses to be larger than average.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Fiat 500 Convertible||76||79||60||85|
|Fiat 500 Electric||73||59||76||60|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Your insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When quoting and comparing your policy, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Your needs are unique to you so your insurance should reflect that
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my trailer covered?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Cheaper insurance premiums are possible
You just read many ideas to find lower-cost Fiat 500 insurance in Oakland. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
When buying insurance coverage, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Low-cost Fiat 500 insurance in Oakland can be purchased online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
More detailed insurance information is available in these articles:
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Altima in Oakland? (FAQ)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)