Expensive auto insurance in Oakland can stress out your monthly budget and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Comparing rates annually is a smart way to cut your insurance bill.
We don’t have to point out that fact that auto insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Consumers who shop around for cheaper price quotes are highly likely to buy a different policy because there is a good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A survey found that people who routinely shopped around saved about $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the most affordable auto insurance in Oakland is your ultimate target, then having a grasp of how to shop for coverages can save time and money.
Steps to buying discount GMC Sonoma insurance in Oakland
To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper GMC Sonoma insurance is to begin comparing prices regularly from different companies that insure vehicles in Oakland. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Take a little time to learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher prices such as speeding and a substandard credit history can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Tell your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the newly selected company. Make sure you keep your new proof of insurance certificate in your glove compartment.
A tip to remember is to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get prices from as many companies as possible. This guarantees a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
There are many auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to have multiple companies, so many choices can make it hard to find a good deal for GMC Sonoma insurance in Oakland.
Consumers need to take a look at other company’s rates before your policy renews because prices trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the lowest price on GMC Sonoma insurance in Oakland six months ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the quickest way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Our objective in writing this article is to teach you how to compare rates easily and some tips to save money. If you are insured now, you will be able to shop for the lowest rates using the following tips. But California drivers must know the methods companies use to determine premium rates.
Just keep in mind that more quotes provides better odds of finding a lower rate than you’re paying now. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online Oakland Sonoma insurance quotes, so it’s important to compare quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The providers in the list below can provide quotes in California. To find cheap auto insurance in CA, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Protect more than your GMC vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a GMC Sonoma in Oakland, insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Sonoma, it’s most likely the lender will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your GMC at an extremely high rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your GMC gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. Today the average American driver is wasting up to $700 annually so smart consumers compare quotes each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Get affordable GMC Sonoma insurance in Oakland with discounts
Auto insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even be aware of. Certain credits will be shown at the time of quoting, but a few must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Oakland Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Oakland may earn you a small savings since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Onboard Data Collection – Drivers who elect to allow their auto insurance company to track when and where they use their vehicle by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot may see discounts if they show good driving skills.
- Memberships – Participating in certain professional organizations may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- E-sign – Some of the larger companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy on the web.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount may save as much as 25% on a Oakland car insurance quote. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up to age 25.
- 55 and Retired – Mature drivers may receive better auto insurance rates.
- Claim-Free Discount – Insureds with no claims or accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Oakland car insurance quote as opposed to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but companies like State Farm and Allstate will forgive one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Distant Student Discount – Children who are attending college and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
Don’t be surprised that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide are shown below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, good student, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, online signing, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers includes discounts for hybrid/electric vehicle, good student, save driver, multi-car, new car, and continuous insurance.
- American Family discounts include Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, good driver, and mySafetyValet.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for hybrid vehicle, safety features, preferred payment discount, good student, multi-policy, newly retired, and new graduate.
Before buying, ask all the companies to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not be offered everywhere.
Do I need special coverages?
When buying coverage, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you may require specific advice.
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.