A recent study showed that a large majority of drivers in California kept buying from the same company for over three years, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save nearly 46.5% every year by just comparing quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to find cheaper insurance by shopping around.
To save the most money, the best way to find cheaper Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Oakland is to compare prices annually from insurance carriers in California. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- First, get an understanding of how companies set rates and the things you can change to prevent rate increases. Many things that cause high rates like inattentive driving and a not-so-good credit score can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from many different companies. Start a quote
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
A tip to remember is that you’ll want to compare the same level of coverage on each quote and and to analyze as many carriers as you can. This enables a fair rate comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
If you have a policy now or just want to save money, follow these tips to find the best rates while maintaining coverages. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Oakland can be made easier if you know where to look. Comparison shoppers just have to learn the least time-consuming way to buy auto insurance over the internet.
All the larger insurance companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive allow you to get coverage price quotes directly from their websites. This process is very simple because it’s just a matter of typing in your coverage information on the page. When complete, the company’s rating system requests information on your driving record and credit history and returns pricing information based on many factors. This makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it is imperative to have as many quotes as possible if you want to get the most affordable possible premiums on insurance.
To find out how much you can save on insurance, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you enter the limits and deductibles as close as possible to your current policy. This ensures you’re receiving a price comparison using the exact same coverages.
The following companies are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Oakland, CA. To buy the cheapest auto insurance in Oakland, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high insurance cost for a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG in Oakland, insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your SLS AMG has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Mercedes-Benz for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects not only your Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your car insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having car insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $810 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to save money.
How Car Insurance Companies Determine Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Insurance Premiums
Many things are used when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, although some other factors are more obscure such as your credit history and annual miles driven. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the factors that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in lower premium levels.
Raise your comp and collision deductibles for better costs – Physical damage deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. Protection for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, fire damage, and damage from wind. The more damage repair cost you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Responsible credit means lower costs – Having a good credit history is a big factor in determining premium rates. Drivers with very good credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with bad credit. If your credit rating can be improved, you could pay less to insure your Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Add-on coverages can add up – There are a ton of additional extra coverages that can add up on your SLS AMG policy. Insurance for roadside assistance, accidental death, and membership fees may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment when buying your policy, but if you don’t need them remove them from your policy.
Small frequent car insurance claims are not good – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in California generally give discounts to people who only file infrequent claims. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
Rates and vocation – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Jobs such as military generals, executives, and miners are shown to have higher rates than average due to intense work situations and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, careers like scientists, engineers and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
Urban areas may pay more – Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when talking about car insurance. City drivers tend to have more traffic problems and more severe claims. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
Do thieves like your car? – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Systems that thwart thieves such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all aid in stopping car theft.
Get cheaper Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Oakland with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all possible discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- Student in College – Children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home may qualify for this discount.
- Good Grades Discount – Maintaining excellent grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Accident Free – Oakland drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts when compared with policyholders that have many claims.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags may get savings up to 30%.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy with one company you may save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Professional Organizations – Affiliation with a qualifying organization may earn a discount on your policy.
- Low Miles Discount – Maintaining low annual mileage could earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
A few companies that have many of the previously listed discounts are:
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere. To see a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click here.
When to get professional advice
Always remember that when buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Your situation is unique and your policy should reflect that.
For example, these questions might help in determining if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Insurance agencies near you
Many people just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Experienced insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And supporting small agencies is especially important in Oakland.
Upon completion of this simple form, the coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Oakland who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You never need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. If for some reason you want to compare rates for a specific company, you can always visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an insurance company should include more criteria than just a cheap price. A good agent in Oakland will have answers to these questions.
- How long has their agency been open in Oakland?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in California?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
After talking to the agent and getting satisfactory answers to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, most likely you have located an insurance company that meets the criteria to properly insure your vehicles. Just understand that you have the power to terminate coverage any time you want so never feel that you are obligated to any specific company for the full term.
Persistence is the key to affordable rates
You just read many ideas to get a better price on Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Oakland. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding low cost Oakland car insurance quotes. You may even discover the best rates are with the smaller companies. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
The cheapest Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Oakland is attainable online in addition to local insurance agencies, so get free Oakland car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not offer internet price quotes and most of the time these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
When getting Oakland car insurance quotes online, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional information is located below:
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Oakland? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Uninsured Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)