A recent insurance study revealed that the vast majority of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. Many consumers in California can cut their rates by about $470 a year by just comparing quotes, but most undervalue how much savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
The best way to find cheaper quotes for auto insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from insurers that insure vehicles in Oakland. This can be done by completing these steps.
- Get a basic knowledge of what is in your policy and the steps you can take to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases like traffic violations and poor credit rating can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article provides more information to help keep rates affordable and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if cheaper XLR coverage is available. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
One thing to point out is that you’ll want to make sure you compare similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get price estimates from as many different companies as possible. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
This information will introduce you to the best methods to compare rates. If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to reduce premiums using the tips covered below. Drivers only need an understanding of the proper way to compare price quotes from multiple carriers.
Getting a low cost price on insurance isn’t really that difficult. All you need to do is invest a little time to compare rates provided by online insurance companies.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in Oakland, CA. To buy the best cheap car insurance in Oakland, CA, we recommend you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lower-cost Oakland car insurance rates with discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list every possible discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you buy Oakland auto insurance online. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers could receive a small discount on rates.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being deployed in the military could qualify you for better car insurance rates.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies will let one accident slide before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down on your Cadillac could qualify for cheaper car insurance rates.
- Membership in Organizations – Being in qualifying clubs or civic groups is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for car insurance.
- Telematics Data – Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to analyze driving habits by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Government Employees – Active or former government employment could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
Don’t be shocked that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Large car insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- State Farm offers premium reductions for student away at school, passive restraint, anti-theft, good driver, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-theft, good student, air bags, multi-vehicle, driver training, emergency military deployment, and seat belt use.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include newly married, teen driver discount, good student, hybrid vehicle, new move discount, preferred payment discount, and exclusive group savings.
- The Hartford includes discounts for vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, bundle, good student, driver training, and anti-theft.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including claim-free, good student, good driver, accident-free, defensive driver, multi-policy
- Progressive discounts include continuous coverage, good student, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
If you need low cost Oakland auto insurance quotes, ask each company the best way to save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply in every state.
Why you need insurance
Even though Oakland XLR insurance rates can get expensive, buying insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your car, it’s guaranteed your bank will require you to have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Cadillac at a significantly higher premium and make you pay for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects both your Cadillac XLR and your assets. It will also pay for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays as much as $865 each year so compare rates at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When it comes to coverage online or from an agent, there is no perfect coverage plan. You are unique and your insurance should unique, too.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- Are my friends covered when driving my Cadillac XLR?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in California?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Compare prices but buy from a local Oakland insurance agency
Many people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can find better rates but also keep your business local. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Oakland.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your information is immediately sent to companies in Oakland that can give you free Oakland auto insurance quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you need to compare rates from a specific car insurance provider, you can always navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Shown below are agents in Oakland who can help you get rate quotes for Cadillac XLR insurance in Oakland.
- Farmers Insurance – Yonas Hagos
220 4th St Suite 200 – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 763-1030 – View Map
- Fred Loya Insurance
1620 High St STE B – Oakland, CA 94601 – (510) 434-1801 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Anthony Sue
3333 Grand Ave #203 – Oakland, CA 94610 – (510) 465-1544 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Mike Clauson
859 Clay St – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 839-3276 – View Map
Choosing the best insurance company should depend on more than just a low price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- How many years have they been established?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
Car insurance coverages for a Cadillac XLR
Understanding the coverages of your car insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are the normal coverages available from car insurance companies.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance protects you from damage that occurs to people or other property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, $30,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for things like court costs, medical expenses and medical services. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for bills like dental work, nursing services, hospital visits and prosthetic devices. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your XLR caused by collision with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims such as colliding with a tree, crashing into a building and damaging your car on a curb. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your XLR to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Cadillac XLR.
Due to the fact that many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Usually these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hitting a bird, hail damage, damage from flooding and vandalism. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.