Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Insureds who shop around for a cheaper policy will probably buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding a policy with better rates. A study discovered that consumers who shopped around saved $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding the lowest price on insurance in Oakland is the reason you’re reading this, then having some knowledge of how to compare cheaper coverage can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
To save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates in Oakland is to begin comparing prices regularly from different companies in California. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- Read about how auto insurance works and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that increase rates such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a not-so-good credit score can be remedied by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices from many different companies. Select a company
- Compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One important bit of advice is to try to compare similar coverage information on each quote request and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and many rates to choose from.
Choosing the best rates in Oakland is quite easy. In essence, every person who compares rate quotes for auto insurance stands a good chance to get a lower-priced policy. Although California drivers must comprehend the way companies sell insurance online and apply this information to your search.
Low Cost companies for Mazda 3 insurance
The following companies are ready to provide comparison quotes in California. In order to find cheaper auto insurance in CA, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Auto insurance data for a Mazda 3
The rate information displayed below highlights estimates of coverage costs for Mazda 3 models. Understanding more about how car insurance premiums are formulated can assist in making decisions on which insurance to purchase.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$210||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,172||$98|
|3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$210||$362||$442||$26||$132||$1,172||$98|
|3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$210||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,236||$103|
|3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$238||$426||$442||$26||$132||$1,264||$105|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in garaging location in Oakland which can change coverage prices substantially.
The information below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Mazda 3 premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The premiums are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The chart below shows the difference between Mazda 3 annual premium costs with and without physical damage coverage. Data assumes no accidents or driving violations, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula for eliminating physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s say your Mazda 3 replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are currently paying more than $400 annually for full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not in your best interest. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Reduce Insurance Rates with These Tips
Lots of things are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic like a motor vehicle report, although others are less obvious such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
The following are most of the major factors that factor into your rate level.
Males are more aggressive – Statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. However, don’t assume that males are worse at driving than females. Males and females are in accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species have accidents that have higher claims. Not only that, but men also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
The information below shows the difference between Mazda 3 car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Higher deductibles are cheaper – Protection for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be running into the backend of another car, hail damage, and burglary. The deductibles you choose are the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount the insured is willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
Your location is a factor – Living in small towns and rural areas is a good thing when shopping for auto insurance. Lower population means less chance of accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. People in densely populated areas tend to have congested traffic and much longer commute distances. Spending more time driving means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Employer stress can make you pay more – Jobs such as doctors, airline pilots, and financial analysts generally have higher premium rates due to intense work-related stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs such as farmers, students and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
The type of car you drive affects your costs – The performance level of the car you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are usually found on lower cost passenger vehicles, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
The chart below assumes a single male driver age 20, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It compares Mazda 3 policy rates compared to other models of vehicles that have different performance rating factors.
Accidents can be expensive – A bad driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Getting just one ticket could increase your next policy renewal forty percent or more. Good drivers pay less for auto insurance compared to bad drivers. Drivers who have received flagrant citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
The chart below shows how speeding tickets and fender-benders drive up Mazda 3 car insurance rates for each different age category. The prices are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Being married can save you money – Being married can actually save you money on your insurance bill. Marriage means you’re more stable financially and it’s proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Mazda 3 insurance loss probability – Insurance companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle to calculate a rate that offsets possible losses. Models that are shown to have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have a higher cost to insure. The table below demonstrates the historical loss data for Mazda 3 vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles compiled together is considered to be 100. Numbers under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Specific Mazda Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mazda 3 Hatchback||91||80||96||81||73||86|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Get lower-cost Mazda 3 insurance in Oakland with discounts
Car insurance can be pricey, but there could be available discounts to help offset the cost. Certain reductions will be credited when you complete an application, but some need to be manually applied before they will apply.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used 3 can cost up to 25% less since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Oakland auto insurance quote.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies allow you one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies provide a discount for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current 3 insurance policy. It’s a savings of about 10%.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
The illustration below shows the difference between Mazda 3 yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The data assumes a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, multi-policy, homeowner, marriage, and safe-driver discounts applied.
A list of companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for multi-policy, safe driver, multi-vehicle, youthful driver, and good student.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including accident-free, good driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free, and defensive driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- AAA may offer discounts for anti-theft, multi-car, education and occupation, good driver, and pay-in-full.
- American Family has savings for Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, early bird, bundled insurance, good student, good driver, and defensive driver.
- GEICO discounts include multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, daytime running lights, good student, driver training, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- State Farm offers discounts including Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, accident-free, and defensive driving training.
When quoting, ask every company how you can save money. Some credits may not apply to policyholders in your state.
Shop online but buy locally
Some people would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the lowest rates and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to insurance agents in Oakland that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. You’ll get the best rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to get a rate quote from one company in particular, feel free to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best insurer requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Oakland should be willing to answer these questions.
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
If you want to use a local Oakland insurance agency, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive.
These agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are well trained on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Oakland who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent do not write with just one company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured. When comparing insurance rates, you will definitely want to get several quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Oakland who can help you get rate quotes.
On My Way Insurance
320 10th St – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 893-3298 – View Map
Best auto insurance company in California
Ending up with the highest-rated insurance provider is difficult considering how many companies there are in Oakland. The ranking information in the lists below can help you decide which car insurance providers you want to consider putting your business with.
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA of Southern California – 92%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- The General – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
Always remember that when buying proper insurance coverage, there really isn’t a best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different.
For example, these questions may help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Mazda 3 is totaled?
- What are good deductibles for a Mazda 3?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form.
Don’t give up on affordable premiums
You just learned a lot of ways to find cheap Mazda 3 insurance in Oakland. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest car insurance rates are with a small mutual company.
There are still a few companies who may not provide rates over the internet and most of the time these smaller providers work with independent insurance agents. Cheap Mazda 3 insurance in Oakland is available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so compare prices from both to get a complete price analysis.
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, extreme rates for teen drivers, being labeled a high risk driver and not issuing a premium refund. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Additional auto insurance information is located at these links:
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for High Risk Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Good Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)