To save the most money, the best way to find cheaper prices for Ford Ranger insurance is to compare prices at least once a year from providers in Oakland.
Step 1: Try to learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to keep rates in check. Many factors that increase rates like accidents, careless driving, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Keep reading for more ideas to get low prices and find discounts that you may qualify for.
Step 2: Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing policy and determine if cheaper Ranger coverage is available. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Step 4: Notify your agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new insurer. Once coverage is bound, safely store the certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you’ll want to compare the same level of coverage on every quote and to quote with as many companies as you can. This provides a level playing field and a complete rate analysis.
It’s hard to believe, but the majority of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and 38% of customers have never compared rates from other carriers. Consumers in the U.S. could pocket approximately 46.5% a year, but they don’t know how much money they would save if they switched.
The quickest method to get rate comparisons for Ford Ranger insurance in Oakland is to know the trick auto insurance companies provide online access to quote your coverage. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details such as your job, which vehicles you own, how old drivers are, and if it has an alarm system. Your details gets transmitted to many of the top insurers and you will get price comparisons within a short period of time.
To get price quotes for your car now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Oakland.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in Oakland, CA. In order to find the best cheap car insurance in Oakland, CA, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the most competitive price.
Ford Ranger detailed coverage information
The coverage table shown next outlines estimates of insurance premium costs for Ford Ranger models. Being able to understand how insurance policy rates are figured can assist in making smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ranger XL 2WD||$282||$582||$596||$36||$178||$1,674||$140|
|Ranger XL SuperCab 2WD||$330||$582||$596||$36||$178||$1,722||$144|
|Ranger XLT 2WD||$330||$582||$596||$36||$178||$1,722||$144|
|Ranger XL 2WD||$330||$582||$596||$36||$178||$1,722||$144|
|Ranger XL SuperCab 4WD||$330||$582||$596||$36||$178||$1,722||$144|
|Ranger XLT SuperCab 2WD||$330||$708||$596||$36||$178||$1,848||$154|
|Ranger Sport SuperCab 2WD||$330||$708||$596||$36||$178||$1,848||$154|
|Ranger Sport SuperCab 4WD||$330||$708||$596||$36||$178||$1,848||$154|
|Ranger XLT SuperCab 4WD||$330||$708||$596||$36||$178||$1,848||$154|
|Ranger Sport SuperCab 2WD||$330||$708||$596||$36||$178||$1,848||$154|
|Ranger XLT SuperCab 2WD||$330||$708||$596||$36||$178||$1,848||$154|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in specific garaging location which can impact auto insurance rates significantly.
Ford Ranger insurance rates by gender
The example below shows the difference between Ford Ranger car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no violations or accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Liability only or full coverage
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Ford Ranger yearly insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The rate quotes are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There isn’t a steadfast formula for dropping comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Ford Ranger replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premiums are more than $300 annually for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Ford Ranger insurance, car insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
First, most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your Ford for a lot more money and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your Ford Ranger. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having car insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in California is overpaying over $750 every year so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to save money.
Reduce Insurance Rates with These Tips
Multiple criteria are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but others are not as apparent such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
The list below includes some of the most common factors used by companies to determine your rate level.
- Higher rates for specific vocations – Occupations like lawyers, police officers, and miners have higher rates than the rest of us because of job stress and lengthy work days. Conversely, jobs like scientists, historians and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Miles impacts prices – The more you drive your Ford every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers calculate prices based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It’s always a good idea to double check that your car insurance policy correctly shows the proper vehicle usage. A policy that improperly rates your Ranger may be costing you higher rates.
- Extra coverages can add up – There are many additional extra coverages that you can buy if you don’t pay attention. Coverages for roadside assistance, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. These coverages may sound good at first, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so think about removing them and cutting costs.
Responsible drivers pay less – Being a careful driver impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Having just one chargeable violation could increase your next policy renewal to the point where it’s not affordable. Attentive drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than people who have multiple driving citations. People who have dangerous tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state in order to continue driving.
The information below illustrates how speeding tickets and fender-benders raise Ford Ranger car insurance rates for each different age category. The data is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
- Cars with good safety ratings are cheaper to insure – Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Premiums impacted by your city – Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Lower population corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to fewer liability claims. Drivers who live in large California cities have more road rage incidents and a longer drive to work. Longer commute distances means more chance of being in an accident.
- Liability insurance is peace of mind – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. It is affordable coverage when compared with rates for comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Prevent your car from being stolen – Selecting a car model with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Systems that thwart thieves such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack help track and prevent your car from being stolen.
These discounts can lower your car insurance rates
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but discounts can save money and there are some available to reduce the price significantly. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- Bundle and Save – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies with one insurance company they may give you a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Oakland Homeowners Discount – Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- College Student – College-age children who live away from home to go to college and don’t have a car could qualify for this discount.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims for a specific time period.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will definitely reduce the amount you pay for coverage.
The chart below shows the comparison of Ford Ranger annual premium costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premiums are based on a male driver, no claims or driving citations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and the discounts they provide include:
- GEICO may include discounts for defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, good student, membership and employees, and driver training.
- Travelers may offer discounts for IntelliDrive, continuous insurance, early quote, multi-car, save driver, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- Nationwide offers discounts for accident-free, Farm Bureau membership, good student, family plan, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including pay in full, homeowner, electronic funds transfer, business and professional, youthful driver, and early shopping.
- Esurance discounts include anti-theft, homeowner, online quote, claim free, and good student.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for student away at school, passive restraint, defensive driving training, good driver, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive has savings for online signing, continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, and homeowner.
- Mercury Insurance has discounts for good student, professional/association, location of vehicle, type of vehicle, and multi-policy.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts may not be offered everywhere.
How much auto insurance do I need?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Your financial needs are unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What is the ISO rating for a Ford Ranger?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- What is glass protection for?
- Is pet coverage available?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
When do I need to have guidance from an agent?
Certain consumers still prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. Professional agents will help you protect your assets and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get the best rates and also buy local. And providing support for neighborhood agents is definitely important in Oakland.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the quote information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents that can give you free Oakland car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to drive around since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If you have a need to get a comparison quote for a specific company, just jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
The difference between Oakland car insurance agents
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reputable agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agencies are classified as either independent or exclusive. Either one can write auto insurance policies, but it’s a good idea to understand how they differ because it can factor into the kind of agent you use.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you will want to include price quotes from independent agents to have the best price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may have better rates.
Featured below are independent insurance agents in Oakland that may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
- David E. Quan Agency Insurance Brokers, Inc.
523 47th St – Oakland, CA 94609 – (510) 653-8880 – View Map
- Fred Loya Insurance
1620 High St STE B – Oakland, CA 94601 – (510) 434-1801 – View Map
- Film Casualty Insurance Agency
3246 Ettie St #23 – Oakland, CA 94608 – (619) 578-3048 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Drivers often choose to use an exclusive agent mostly because of high brand loyalty rather than low rates.
Listed below are Oakland exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide rate quotes.
- Maria Wong – State Farm Insurance Agent
1000 Broadway #270 – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 834-3634 – View Map
- Kristen Law – State Farm Insurance Agent
3940 High St c – Oakland, CA 94619 – (510) 530-3200 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Jimmie Oliver
1800 55th Ave – Oakland, CA 94621 – (510) 517-7663 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Is the agent properly licensed in California?
You can find cheap coverage
Budget-friendly insurance in Oakland is possible on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not provide online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies work with independent agencies.
Drivers change insurance companies for many reasons like policy non-renewal, high rates after DUI convictions, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right insurance provider is actually quite simple.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional detailed information can be read at these sites:
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Equinox in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Seniors in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)