It’s amazing but over 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and nearly half have never compared rates with other companies. With the average premium in California being $1,387, drivers could save up to $470 every year by just shopping around, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare other rate quotes.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find the cheapest price for Honda Accord insurance in Oakland is to start comparing rates regularly from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in California.
- Gain an understanding of how auto insurance works and the changes you can make to prevent high rates. Many factors that cause rate increases like high-risk driving behaviors and a negative credit history can be improved by paying attention to minor details.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources. View insurance agents
- Compare the price quotes to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to your new company or agent. Make sure you place the new certificate verifying coverage with the vehicle registration.
A key point to remember is that you’ll want to compare identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as you can. This provides a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
If you have a current auto insurance policy or are looking for a new policy, you will benefit by learning to reduce the price you pay without reducing coverage. Our objective is to let you in on how to effectively get price quotes and how you can save the most money. Shoppers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to get comparison rates online.
How to get free Honda Accord insurance quotes online
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in California. To buy the best car insurance in CA, we recommend you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Analysis of Honda Accord rates
The premium table displayed next highlights a range of insurance coverage prices for Honda Accord models. Being more informed about how prices are determined can help drivers make smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$158||$292||$394||$24||$118||$986||$82|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$158||$292||$394||$24||$118||$986||$82|
|Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$158||$292||$394||$24||$118||$986||$82|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$158||$292||$394||$24||$118||$986||$82|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$158||$292||$394||$24||$118||$986||$82|
|Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$182||$354||$394||$24||$118||$1,072||$89|
|Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$182||$418||$524||$32||$156||$1,312||$109|
|Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$182||$418||$524||$32||$156||$1,312||$109|
|Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$204||$418||$524||$32||$156||$1,334||$111|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in specific location which can change premium rates substantially.
Annual premiums comparing men and women in Oakland
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Honda Accord insurance prices for male and female drivers. The data is based on no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Honda Accord liability rates compared to full coverage
The example below shows the comparison of Honda Accord insurance rates with full coverage and liability only. The prices are based on no claims or violations, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no definitive formula for eliminating full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Honda Accord settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are currently paying more than $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some situations where removing full coverage is not in your best interest. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not opt for liability only.
Car insurance is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda Accord insurance, insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Honda has a loan, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Honda at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for most medical and hospital costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Honda as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having car insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. Today the average American driver is wasting up to $869 every year so you should quote your policy with other companies each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get cheaper Honda Accord insurance in Oakland with discounts
Some insurers don’t list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using when you buy Oakland auto insurance online.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared with bad drivers.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 can possibly qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government may reduce rates when you quote Oakland auto insurance with certain companies.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down on your Honda may allow you to get lower premium rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Accord insurance policy expiring. You may see this discount when you get Oakland auto insurance quotes online.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce the premium cost.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Honda Accord yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premiums assume a male driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, homeowner, multi-car, safe-driver, claim-free, and marriage discounts applied.
For a list of companies with discount rates in Oakland, click here.
Will just any policy work for me?
Always remember that when buying your policy, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your auto insurance should be unique as well.
For example, these questions might point out if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Why do I need rental car insurance?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my Honda Accord to commute?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Does my Honda Accord need full coverage?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
You may need help from an insurance agency
Some consumers would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision Good agents can help you choose the best coverages and help you file claims. An additional benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents who will give you bids to get your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to visit any agencies because prices are sent immediately to you. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurer shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Oakland?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
Types of car insurance agents
When searching for a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agencies can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on which agent you choose.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are highly trained on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the prominent brand name rather than having low rates.
The following are exclusive insurance agents in Oakland who can help you get price quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – Oakland – Mat Dahms Agency
4400 Keller Ave #260 – Oakland, CA 94605 – (510) 636-1440 – View Map
- Maria Wong – State Farm Insurance Agent
1000 Broadway #270 – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 834-3634 – View Map
- Jessica Hebert – State Farm Insurance Agent
490 Grand Ave #210 – Oakland, CA 94610 – (510) 653-2900 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are normally appointed by many insurers so they can quote policies through many companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a cheaper price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to switch agencies. When comparing auto insurance rates, you definitely need to get rate quotes from several independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison. Most also write with mutual insurance companies that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Shown below are independent agencies in Oakland who can help you get price quotes.
- Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy – Oakland, CA 94608 – (510) 452-1566 – View Map
- Ruth Stroup Insurance Agency
3560 Grand Ave – Oakland, CA 94610 – (510) 874-5700 – View Map
- On My Way Insurance
320 10th St – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 893-3298 – View Map
Insurance coverage specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are typical coverage types offered by insurance companies.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many California drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (California limits are 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Coverage for medical expenses
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for immediate expenses such as nursing services, chiropractic care and hospital visits. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage protection
This pays for damage to your Accord from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like hitting a parking meter, rolling your car and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also bump up the deductible on your Accord to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as vandalism, hail damage and falling objects. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for liability
This coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see limits of 15/30/5 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like structural damage, pain and suffering and attorney fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why low liability limits may not be enough.
Compare rates regularly to save
You just learned some good ideas how you can save on Honda Accord insurance in Oakland. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Honda Accord insurance quotes. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Some insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and these smaller companies work with local independent agents. More affordable insurance in Oakland can be sourced both online and with local Oakland insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection.
Additional information can be found below:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)