A recent survey discovered that over 70% of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for over three years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates with other companies. California consumers can save 35% each year, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to find affordable rates by getting comparison quotes.
To save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in Oakland. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, try to learn a little about how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases such as distracted driving and a substandard credit score can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article provides additional tips to get cheaper rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Second, request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if cheaper Optima Hybrid coverage is available in Oakland. If you can save some money and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new agent or company. As soon as you can, safely store the certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
A crucial key to this process is that you use identical coverage information on each price quote and and to get prices from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
How to get cheap Kia Optima Hybrid insurance in Oakland, California
The car insurance companies shown below can provide price comparisons in California. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Optima Hybrid, more than likely the lender will require that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Kia at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your assets. It will also cover medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Kia as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver is overpaying over $850 per year so smart consumers compare quotes each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Earn discounts on Oakland insurance
Some insurance providers do not list the entire discount list very clearly, so here is a list some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple cars on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Home Ownership Discount – Simply owning a home can get you a discount since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Federal Employees – Federal government employees can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your insurance provider.
- Full Payment Discount – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you can avoid the installment charge.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Buy New and Save – Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Oakland auto insurance quote than less cautious drivers.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
Popular insurance companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-policy, good driver, multi-car, anti-theft, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for distant student, mature driver, youthful driver, bundle discounts, and good student.
- GEICO may have discounts that include five-year accident-free, military active duty, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, multi-policy, and air bags.
- Esurance may offer discounts for Switch & Save, online shopper, claim free, good student, anti-theft, renters, and homeowner.
- SAFECO discounts include homeowner, drive less, anti-lock brakes, accident prevention training, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, and multi-car.
- State Farm has discounts for defensive driving training, passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, and multiple policy.
Double check with all the companies which discounts they offer. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view companies that offer many of these discounts in California, click here.
What if I want to buy from local Oakland insurance agents?
Many people would rather get advice from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheaper car insurance rates but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Oakland that provide free Oakland auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent directly to you. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, you just need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an company requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Before buying a policy in Oakland, get answers to these questions.
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
Types of car insurance agents in Oakland
If you want a local Oakland insurance agency, there are a couple of different agency structures and how they operate. Agencies in Oakland may be either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only provide pricing for a single company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are well trained on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Oakland who may provide you with price quote information.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are not locked into one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, the agent simply finds a different carrier which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing insurance prices, you will definitely want to get rate quotes from at least one independent agent to maximize your price options.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Oakland that are able to give price quotes.
Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy – Oakland, CA 94608 – (510) 452-1566 – View Map
If you receive good responses to any questions you have as well as a price you’re happy with, you may have found an insurance agent that will properly insure your vehicles.
Parts of your car insurance policy
Having a good grasp of your policy can be of help when determining the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (California limits are 15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims such as hitting a parking meter, colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door and rolling your car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your Optima Hybrid to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like hitting a bird, hitting a deer, rock chips in glass and a broken windshield. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses like EMT expenses, prosthetic devices, funeral costs and X-ray expenses. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Liability car insurance
Liability insurance will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see values of 15/30/5 that translate to a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims such as emergency aid, legal defense fees, repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
California auto insurance companies ranked
Buying coverage from the highest-rated auto insurance company is hard considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Oakland. The company ratings listed below could help you analyze which auto insurers to look at buying from.
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
Persistent drivers can save
Affordable Kia Optima Hybrid insurance in Oakland is available on the web and with local Oakland insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies don’t offer price quotes online and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
When searching for inexpensive Oakland auto insurance quotes, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50 in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Oakland Auto Insurance for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Teenagers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Veterans in Oakland? (FAQ)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)