It’s a known fact that car insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. People who shop rates annually are inclined to switch companies because they have a good chance of finding a lower-priced company. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who routinely shopped around saved $70 a month compared to policyholders who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding budget-friendly Lexus NX 300h insurance is why you’re reading this, then having some insight into the best way to compare insurance premiums can save time and make the process easier.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates in Oakland is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in California. Price quotes can be compared by following these steps.
Step 1: Try to understand the coverage provided by your policy and the modifications you can make to drop your rates. Many rating factors that cause high rates such as traffic violations and a not-so-good credit score can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Keep reading for additional ideas to help find cheaper rates and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
Step 2: Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple sources. Click to view companies
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
When looking for affordable Oakland car insurance quotes, there are a couple ways to compare quotes from auto insurance companies in your area. The easiest way to lower the rate you pay for Lexus NX 300h insurance is to perform an online rate comparison.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that quoting more helps increase your odds of locating more affordable rates. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online Oakland NX 300h insurance quotes, so it’s necessary to compare quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below offer quotes in Oakland, CA. To locate the best car insurance in CA, it’s a good idea that you get rates from several of them to get the cheapest price.
Choosing the best vehicle insurance in California is an important decision
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Lexus NX 300h in Oakland, insurance is required by state law in California and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Lexus with a loan, most banks will require you to buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Lexus at a much higher rate and make you pay for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying more than $820 a year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Oakland Insurance Rates are Influenced by These Factors
Lots of things are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that help calculate your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get cheaper rates.
The items below are a few of the things companies use to determine your premiums.
Insurance costs and vehicle performance – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. The lowest rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Mature drivers save more – Teenage drivers in California are proven to be inattentive and easily distracted behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are safer drivers.
Never go without auto insurance – Driving any period of time without insurance can get you a ticket and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance coverage expire. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Prevent theft and save – Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help stop your vehicle from being stolen.
Safer cars lower rates – Vehicles with good safety scores cost less to insure. The safest vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection means your insurance company pays less which can result in lower premiums.
Big cities mean more claims – Being located in less populated areas has definite advantages when trying to find low car insurance rates. Fewer drivers on the road translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims. Drivers who live in large California cities regularly have traffic congestion and longer commute times. Spending more time driving can result in more accidents.
Policy add-ons add up – There are a ton of optional add-on coverages that you can buy when buying auto insurance. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, towing, and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. You may think they are a good idea at first, but if you don’t need them remove them and pocket the money.
Reduce your car insurance rates with discounts
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every discount they offer very well, so the following is a list of some of the best known and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for. If you are not receiving all the discounts you deserve, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure more than one vehicle on the same car insurance policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Driver Education Discount – Teen drivers should complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Accident Free – Insureds with no claims or accidents can earn big discounts in comparison to frequent claim filers.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
The best car insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- State Farm offers discounts including Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, and multiple policy.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for teen driver discount, safety features, newly retired, new vehicle discount, new move discount, good student, and newly married.
- American Family offers premium reductions for defensive driver, accident-free, bundled insurance, TimeAway discount, and good student.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for bundle discounts, pay in full, distant student, mature driver, multi-car, and early shopping.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has discounts for anti-lock brakes, paid in full, multiple vehicles, multi-policy, and teen driver.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including teen safe driver, homeowner, accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, and multi-car.
When comparing rates, check with each company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not be available in Oakland. To see car insurance companies who offer cheap Lexus NX 300h insurance quotes in Oakland, click here.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When quoting and choosing coverage, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Every insured’s situation is different and your insurance should unique, too.
For instance, these questions might point out if your situation may require specific advice.
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Insurance agents can help
A small number of people would prefer to talk to a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower premium rates and still have a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Oakland that can give you free Oakland car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to you. You can find the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you wish to compare prices for a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking a company needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Who are their largest clients?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
When looking for a local Oakland insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents from which to choose. Auto insurance policy providers are either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Drivers often use the same agent mainly due to the brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are Oakland exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Farmers Insurance – Lilian Cabrera
1324 Fruitvale Ave – Oakland, CA 94601 – (510) 436-6900 – View Map
- Rich Kirchner – State Farm Insurance Agent
5736 Thornhill Dr Ste 101 – Oakland, CA 94611 – (510) 339-9340 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance: Howard Ruud
5956 MacArthur Blvd – Oakland, CA 94605 – (510) 635-0608 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are not restricted to one company so they can quote policies through lots of different companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always get quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Most independent agents also contract with small mutual carriers that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Below is a list of independent agents in Oakland willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Bucheku Insurance Agency
1714 Franklin St Suite 305 – Oakland, CA 94612 – (510) 655-6969 – View Map
- Aviation Marine Insurance Services
5707 Redwood Rd – Oakland, CA 94619 – (510) 530-4415 – View Map
- Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy – Oakland, CA 94608 – (510) 452-1566 – View Map
How to find a good Oakland car insurance company
Finding a high-quality company is difficult considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Oakland. The company information displayed below can help you select which auto insurance companies you want to consider comparing prices from.
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Budget-friendly car insurance in Oakland is attainable from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Oakland agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
When searching for the cheapest Lexus NX 300h rate quotes, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
To learn more, link through to these articles:
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Active Military in Oakland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)