Want to save money and find the cheapest Honda Insight insurance in Oakland? Did a good deal turn out to be an expensive insurance policy? Believe me, there are many Oakland consumers feeling the pinch from expensive insurance.
Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Consumers who shop around for better prices will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because there is a great chance of finding better rates. A recent survey found that consumers who make a habit of shopping around saved as much as $3,450 over four years compared to policyholders who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding low prices for Honda Insight insurance in Oakland is your ultimate target, then knowing how to get rate quotes and compare auto insurance can make it easier for you to save money.
Steps to finding discount Honda Insight insurance in Oakland
Truthfully, the best way to get affordable Honda Insight insurance is to begin comparing prices regularly from companies in Oakland. You can compare rates by following these steps.
- First, try to comprehend how insurance works and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many things that are responsible for high rates like accidents, careless driving, and a negative credit history can be remedied by paying attention to minor details. Keep reading for more details to help prevent high rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Second, request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if cheaper Insight coverage is available. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you use the same level of coverage on each quote request and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. This ensures a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Companies like State Farm and GEICO constantly bombard you with ads and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the corporate glitz and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Insurance Cost Influencing Factors
Many things are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, but others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status and annual miles driven. Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the factors that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are most of the major factors that factor into your prices.
- Better rates on vehicles with better crash test results – Cars with five star safety ratings get lower rates. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection means your insurance company pays less which can mean better rates for you. If the Honda Insight has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
- Annual mileage and car insurance prices – The higher the mileage driven annually the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos that do not get driven very much can be on a lower rate level as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s a good idea to make sure your car insurance policy shows the correct driver usage. An improperly rated Insight may be wasting your money.
Gender and car insurance premiums – Over time, data shows women tend to be less risk to insure than men. The data does not necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Both sexes are in at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage. Men also get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers have the highest risk to insure and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
The chart below shows the comparison of Honda Insight premium costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Vehicle features that cut rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention features like OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart auto theft.
- Higher prices for car insurance policy lapses – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse will be a guaranteed way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you fines and jail time.
Tickets can increase premiums – Having a clean driving record impacts premiums far more than you think. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Only having one driving citation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with severe tickets like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to prove financial responsibility with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The chart below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents can drive up Honda Insight insurance rates for different categories of driver ages. The premiums assume a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
- Liability coverage – Liability insurance kicks in if ever you are found to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost a lot. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
Statistics and details
The price information displayed below covers estimates of insurance policy prices for Honda Insight models. Being able to understand how car insurance prices are calculated is important for drivers to make smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can change rates greatly.
The chart below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Honda Insight annual premium costs for each age group. Data assumes a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are factored in.
Cheaper rates by getting discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always list all their discounts very clearly, so the list below contains a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to you.
- Low Mileage – Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with discounted auto insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Employee of Federal Government – Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote Oakland auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Renewal Discounts – Select larger companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current Insight insurance policy expiration. You may see this discount when you get Oakland auto insurance quotes online.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- New Car Discount – Adding a new car to your policy can save you some money since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to accident prone drivers.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. Any amount of discount should help lower your policy premiums.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Honda Insight insurance premiums with and without policy discounts. The rates are based on a male driver, no claims, a clean driving record, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-car discounts applied.
Some companies who may offer some of the above discounts possibly include:
Before you buy a policy, ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in Oakland. To find insurance companies with the best Honda Insight insurance discounts in California, click here to view.
Be persistent and save
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
We covered some good ideas how to find affordable Honda Insight insurance in Oakland. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding cheaper Oakland auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Steps to finding better rates for Honda Insight insurance in Oakland
The preferred way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from companies in Oakland. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Try to learn a little about how insurance companies determine prices and the steps you can take to prevent rate increases. Many factors that cause rate increases like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save some money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the completed application along with a down payment for your new policy. As soon as you can, store the certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to compare the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and to quote with every company you can. This guarantees a level playing field and a thorough selection of prices.
For more information, link through to the resources below:
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Unemployed Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Oakland Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Civic in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)