Volkswagen Jetta insurance cost image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
It's safe to conclude that car insurance companies don't want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Insureds who shop around for better prices are inclined to move their business because they stand a good chance of finding better rates. A recent survey discovered that drivers who shopped around every year saved $850 each year compared to people who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding discount rates on Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Oakland is why you're reading this, understanding the best way to shop and compare insurance rates can save money and time.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to annually compare prices from companies that sell auto insurance in Oakland. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Read about the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and a less-than-favorable credit score can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Oakland. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to the new company. Once the paperwork is finalized, place the new certificate verifying coverage above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One bit of advice is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to look at every company you can. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and a good representation of prices.
If you have coverage now, you should be able to lower your rates using this strategy. Locating the best auto insurance in Oakland is not that difficult. But California drivers can benefit by having an understanding of the way companies charge you for coverage because it varies considerably.
You Can Change Your Insurance Costs
Many things are used when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but other criteria are more transparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that aid in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower rates.
Listed below are most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your prices.
Never have car insurance policy lapses - Allowing your coverage to lapse can be a fast way to bump up your car insurance costs. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance may result in a license revocation or jail time. Then you may be required to file a SR-22 with the California department of motor vehicles.
Save money with theft deterrents - Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Theft prevention features like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar help track and prevent your car from being stolen.
Premiums may be higher where you live - Residing in less populated areas of the country is a positive aspect when shopping for auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities tend to have traffic congestion and higher rates of accident claims. Fewer drivers and short commutes corresponds to lower accident rates and lower theft and vandalism rates.
Premiums are high for teenagers - Teen drivers in California are known to be easily distracted with other occupants in the car so car insurance rates are higher. Having to add a teen driver onto a policy can break the bank. Older drivers are shown to be more cautious, cause fewer claims and accidents, and receive fewer citations.
The following chart uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Volkswagen Jetta insurance claim data - Car insurance companies use data from past claims to calculate a rate that offsets possible losses. Models that statistically have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have higher rates for specific coverages. The data below shows the collected loss data for Volkswagen Jetta vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together equals 100. Percentages below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers above 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or statistically larger losses.
|Specific Volkswagen Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid||128||121||114||104|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
The most recommended method to get policy rate comparisons for Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Oakland utilizes the fact almost all companies have advanced systems to give free rates quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information like driver details, if you require a SR-22, how much education you have, and how much you drive. That rating data is automatically sent to multiple insurance providers and you receive quotes within a short period of time.
To compare rates for your Volkswagen Jetta now, click here then complete the form.
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in California. If your goal is to find cheap car insurance in Oakland, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
The rate information shown below highlights different insurance coverage prices for Volkswagen Jetta models. Being aware of how policy premiums are established can assist in making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Jetta S 4-Dr Sedan||$326||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,678||$140|
|Jetta S 2.5 Station Wagon||$326||$672||$424||$26||$128||$1,576||$131|
|Jetta LE 4-Dr Sedan||$326||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,678||$140|
|Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$370||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,842||$154|
|Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$370||$792||$424||$26||$128||$1,740||$145|
|Jetta 2.0T 4-Dr Sedan||$370||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,842||$154|
|Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$370||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,842||$154|
|Jetta 2.0T Station Wagon||$370||$792||$424||$26||$128||$1,740||$145|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can alter prices substantially.
How careless driving impacts Oakland auto insurance rates
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders can increase Volkswagen Jetta auto insurance rates for different age categories. The data is based on a married male driver, full coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Premiums by gender and age
The diagram below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Jetta insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Choosing the best Jetta insurance in California is an important decision
Even though it can be expensive, buying auto insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability protection in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost every bank will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Volkswagen for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your car. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Volkswagen as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Oakland is overpaying over $750 every year so you should quote your policy with other companies once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get discounts on Oakland insurance
Some insurance providers do not advertise every discount they offer very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to you.
- 55 and Retired - If you're over the age of 55, you may be able to get better insurance rates.
- Government Employee Discount - Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Club Memberships - Joining qualifying clubs or civic groups is a simple method to lower premiums on your next insurance statement.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Having multiple cars with one company could earn a price break for each car.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
The illustration below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Jetta yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The costs are based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
A few companies who may offer some of the discounts shown above are:
It's a good idea to ask every company which credits you are entitled to. Some credits might not be available to policyholders in your area. To locate insurers who offer insurance discounts in Oakland, click here.
Buying from insurance agents
Certain consumers would rather get advice from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision A good thing about price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
After completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to get a price quote from a particular provider, just go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good insurer requires you to look at more than just a low price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
Two types of auto insurance agents
When finding a reliable insurance agent, it's helpful to know the types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agents can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Agents that choose to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. They are highly trained on their company's products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some people will only purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in Oakland that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Farmers Insurance - Lorraine Yip Yung
1168 Franklin St - Oakland, CA 94607 - (510) 832-5113 - View Map
- State Farm: Grantland Bailey
2115 MacArthur Blvd - Oakland, CA 94602 - (510) 482-7700 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Scott Halbrook
1433 Leimert Blvd - Oakland, CA 94602 - (510) 531-1432 - View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply switch companies in-house and you don't have to switch agencies. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you will want to get rate quotes from several independent agencies to maximize your price options. Many write coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may have better rates.
Shown below are Oakland independent agents who can help you get rate quotes.
- On My Way Insurance
320 10th St - Oakland, CA 94607 - (510) 893-3298 - View Map
- JCB Insurance Services
6427 Westover Dr - Oakland, CA 94611 - (510) 336-3490 - View Map
- Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy - Oakland, CA 94608 - (510) 452-1566 - View Map
Your auto insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really isn't a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions can help discover if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totaled car?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Cheaper Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Oakland is attainable online and also from your neighborhood Oakland agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers may not offer rates over the internet and these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
We just showed you quite a bit of information on how to find cheaper Volkswagen Jetta insurance in Oakland. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the best price on insurance is with a lesser-known regional company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Even more information can be read by following these links:
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Car Insurance for State Employees in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenage Males in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Altima in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for a Nissan Versa in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)