If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get budget car insurance rates in Oakland is to compare prices annually from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in California. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
- First, read and learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices like high-risk driving behaviors and an imperfect credit score can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover more ideas to get cheaper rates and find discounts that may have been missed.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if cheaper Sportage coverage is available in Oakland. If you can save money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the new company. Don’t forget to keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
A key point to remember is that you use identical deductibles and limits on each quote request and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
It’s a fact that car insurance companies don’t want you to look at other companies. Drivers who shop around for cheaper price quotes are very likely to buy a new policy because there is a good probability of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A recent study showed that people who compared rates annually saved an average of $70 a month compared to people who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding low prices for Kia Sportage insurance is the reason you’re here, then having a good understanding how to shop for cheaper coverage can help make the process easier and more efficient.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Oakland, CA. If you want the cheapest car insurance in CA, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Facts and figures for Kia Sportage insurance
The coverage table shown below highlights different coverage prices for Kia Sportage models. Understanding more about how auto insurance prices are calculated can be useful when making smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sportage LX 2WD 4-Dr||$142||$246||$416||$24||$124||$952||$79|
|Sportage LX 2WD 4-Dr||$142||$246||$416||$24||$124||$952||$79|
|Sportage EX 2WD 4-Dr||$162||$300||$416||$24||$124||$1,026||$86|
|Sportage LX 4WD 4-Dr||$162||$300||$416||$24||$124||$1,026||$86|
|Sportage EX 4WD 4-Dr||$162||$300||$416||$24||$124||$1,026||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in specific Oakland garaging location which can revise premiums considerably.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Kia Sportage premium costs for each age group. The data assumes a single male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Impact of citations and accidents on insurance rates
The diagram below demonstrates how citations and fender-benders drive up Kia Sportage auto insurance costs for different age categories. The prices are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Best reasons to buy car insurance in California
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, more than likely the lender will require that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Kia at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance protects both your assets and your Kia Sportage. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your Kia gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having car insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in America overpays as much as $825 a year so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Why You Might Pay Higher Rates in Oakland
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, but others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” used by insurance companies to determine rates.
Better premiums for continuous car insurance coverage – Not having insurance can get your license suspended and any future policy may cost more because you let your insurance expire. Not only will you pay higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance may result in fines and jail time. Then you may be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Single drivers may get higher prices – Getting married can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are more financially stable and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Save money with higher physical damage deductibles – The deductibles you choose define the amount you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Physical damage coverage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered are rear-ending another vehicle, collision with a deer, or theft of your vehicle. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
Do females or males drive better? – Over the last 30 years, statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Males and females cause fender benders in similar numbers, but men cause more damage. Men also statistically get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
The illustration below shows the comparison of Kia Sportage insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no violations or accidents, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied.
Insurance losses for a Kia Sportage – Car insurance companies analyze the history of losses to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Models that are shown to have increased losses will have higher premium rates. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Kia Sportage vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is considered to be 100. Values that are 100 or less indicate better than average losses, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Kia Sportage 4dr 2WD||82||100||66||113||127||109|
|Kia Sportage 4dr 4WD||90||100||83||116||108||101|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Do you qualify for discounts on Kia Sportage insurance in Oakland?
Some companies don’t always list every possible discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Oakland car insurance online.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Require your teen driver to participate in a local driver’s education class as it can save substantially.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Telematics Discount – Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to spy on driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Allstate’s Drivewise might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Early Signing – A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching companies before your current Sportage insurance policy expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because maintaining a house means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
Policy discounts save money, but most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Kia Sportage auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premiums assume a male driver, no accidents or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-car, multi-policy, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be read below.
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, good student, driver’s education, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for mature driver, homeowner, business and professional, youthful driver, pay in full, teen driver, and early shopping.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, and homeowner.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including five-year accident-free, seat belt use, defensive driver, military active duty, emergency military deployment, and multi-vehicle.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for student away at school, teen driver, paid in full, safe vehicle, mature driver, and safe driver.
- The Hartford has discounts for defensive driver, anti-theft, air bag, bundle, driver training, and good student.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for safe driver, 55 and retired, multi-policy, youthful driver, multi-vehicle, good student, and renewal discount.
- USAA offers discounts including multi-policy, annual mileage, multi-vehicle, family discount, vehicle storage, and defensive driver.
If you need lower rates, check with each company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not apply to policies in your state.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Local Oakland auto insurance agents and car insurance
Some consumers just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision Most agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is you may find the lowest rates and also buy local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your insurance data is submitted to local insurance agents in Oakland that give free quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to contact any agents due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific car insurance provider, you can always jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Deciding on an company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
Auto insurance companies ranked
Insuring your vehicle with the right auto insurance company can be a challenge considering how many different insurance companies sell coverage in Oakland. The ranking data in the next section may help you choose which coverage providers you want to consider comparing rates with.
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
One last note
When getting Oakland car insurance quotes online, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
We just presented a lot of information how to lower your Kia Sportage insurance auto insurance rates in Oakland. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better likelihood of getting affordable Kia Sportage insurance quotes. You may even discover the best auto insurance rates are with a lesser-known regional company.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, poor customer service, questionable increases in premium or even high prices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a great new company can be pretty painless.
More information can be found on the following sites:
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Teachers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds in Oakland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for 4×4 Vehicles in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)