The preferred way to find affordable auto insurance rates in Oakland is to annually compare prices from insurance carriers that insure vehicles in California.
First, take a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that increase rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an imperfect credit history can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article provides more details to get affordable coverage and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
Second, request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple insurance companies. Find an Oakland insurance agent
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel the current policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the new company. Make sure you put the new certificate of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
A crucial key to this process is to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to look at every company you can. This helps ensure a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
It’s safe to conclude that car insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Drivers who compare rates once a year will presumably switch companies because of the good chance of finding lower prices. A recent survey revealed that drivers who shopped around saved approximately $3,500 over four years compared to drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the most affordable car insurance in Oakland is your ultimate goal, then understanding how to get price quotes and compare auto insurance can help you be more efficient.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap rates in California
The companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Oakland, CA. To locate cheap car insurance in California, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some discounts will apply when you get a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be specifically requested before being credited.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 20% or more.
- Buy New and Save – Putting coverage on a new NX 200t can save up to 30% since newer models are generally safer.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear before the accident.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few larger companies offer discounts for renewing your policy prior to the expiration date on your current NX 200t insurance policy. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Maintaining low annual mileage could earn better prices on cars that stay parked.
- Telematics Discount – Insureds that choose to allow their company to track their driving habits by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Online Discount – Some insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents get the best auto insurance rates in comparison to drivers who are more careless.
One thing to note about discounts is that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce your overall premium however.
Car insurance companies that may offer quotes with these benefits possibly include:
When quoting, ask all the companies which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be offered in Oakland. If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in California, click here to view.
Informed Drivers Save Money
Lots of things are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, although some other factors are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or how safe your car is. A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The more you drive your Lexus every year the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage receive better premium rates compared to those used for work or business. Incorrect rating for your NX 200t is just wasting money. Double check that your car insurance policy reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Older drivers pay less – Older drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cost insurance companies less in claims, and usually have better credit. Beginning drivers have been known to be inattentive when behind the wheel so car insurance rates are higher.
- Eliminate extra policy coverages – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed but may not be useful. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, towing coverage, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when discussing your needs, but if you have no use for them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Gals tend to cost less – Over time, data shows women tend to be less risk to insure than men. It does not mean females are better drivers. Both genders have accidents in similar numbers, but the men get into accidents with more damage. Men also receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
Everyone needs different car insurance coverages
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are unique to you and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- If my Lexus NX 200t is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Does coverage extend to my business vehicle?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Independent versus exclusive insurance agencies
A small number of people prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move Insurance agents are trained risk managers and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing auto insurance online is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Oakland.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
If you want a local insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different agency structures that you can select. Agencies in Oakland can be categorized as either exclusive or independent. Both types of agents can provide auto insurance policies, but it’s important to point out why they differ since it can affect your selection of an agent.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you need to check rates from a few independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are independent agencies in Oakland that can possibly get you cheap rate quotes.
Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy – Oakland, CA 94608 – (510) 452-1566 – View Map
Travel Insurance Agency
610 16th St #508 – Oakland, CA 94612 – (510) 452-3366 – View Map
Agents in the exclusive channel normally can only provide a single company’s rates such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Oakland that are able to give comparison quotes.
Finding a good insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
Don’t give up on cheap coverage
Some insurance providers don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies only sell through local independent agents. Low-cost Lexus NX 200t insurance in Oakland is possible from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
In this article, we covered many ways to save on Lexus NX 200t insurance in Oakland. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding the cheapest Lexus NX 200t rate quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company. Smaller companies can often provide lower prices in certain areas than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
Additional detailed information is available in these articles:
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Felons in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for Homeowners? (FAQ)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)