The preferred way to get cheaper Hummer H2 insurance is to do a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Oakland. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
First, get a basic knowledge of individual coverages and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that result in higher rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a not-so-good credit rating can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Second, compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. View rates
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to determine if you can save on H2 insurance in Oakland. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Fourth, notify your current company of your intention to cancel the current policy and submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new insurance company. As soon as coverage is bound, put the new certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location.
A valuable tip to remember is to try to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote and and to analyze as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, over 70% of consumers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and almost half have never compared quotes from other companies. California drivers can save as much as $500 each year by just comparing quotes, but they just feel it’s too hard to compare rates online.
The best way we recommend to get policy rate comparisons for Hummer H2 insurance in Oakland takes advantage of the fact most insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to compare their rates. All you need to do is provide details including how much education you have, your general credit rating, if the car is leased, and whether the vehicles are used for commuting. Your rating data is automatically sent to many highly-rated insurers and you receive quotes with very little delay.
To check rates for your Hummer H2 now, click here and complete the form.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in California. If you wish to find the best car insurance in California, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Why you need quality insurance for your Hummer vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Hummer H2 in Oakland, paying for car insurance is mandatory in California but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most lenders will stipulate that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Hummer at a significantly higher premium and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves not only your Hummer but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average driver in California is overpaying over $830 a year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to ensure rates are inline.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Some insurance providers don’t always publicize every policy discount very clearly, so the next list breaks down some of the best known and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Oakland car insurance online.
- Safety Course Discount – Passing a safe driver class could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Home Ownership Discount – Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings since owning and maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Pay Early and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Auto/Life Discount – Larger insurance carriers have a lower price if you buy life insurance from them.
- Telematics Devices – Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to spy on driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may see discounts if they show good driving skills.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your insurance provider.
As a sidenote, some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
Insurance companies who may offer these money-saving discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in your area. To choose companies that offer the discounts shown above in Oakland, click here to view.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Many people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision Good agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. The best thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get lower rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Oakland.
After completing this short form, your insurance data gets sent to agents in your area that provide free Oakland car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to find an agent since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, just jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Oakland auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
When looking for a reliable insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they function. Agents are either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can insure your vehicles properly, but we need to point out how they differ since it could factor into buying decisions.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company and that enables them to quote your coverage amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, you should always get rate quotes from multiple independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with smaller regional carriers that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Oakland that may be able to provide free rate quotes.
- Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy – Oakland, CA 94608 – (510) 452-1566 – View Map
- David E. Quan Agency Insurance Brokers, Inc.
523 47th St – Oakland, CA 94609 – (510) 653-8880 – View Map
- Western-Southern Life Insurance Co
80 Swan Way # 102 – Oakland, CA 94621 – (510) 877-4119 – View Map
Exclusive agencies can only provide one company’s prices such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies are well trained on what they offer which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mostly because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Listed below are Oakland exclusive insurance agents who can help you get price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Amy Cheok
180 2nd St #1 – Oakland, CA 94607 – (510) 338-3570 – View Map
- Jessica Hebert – State Farm Insurance Agent
490 Grand Ave #210 – Oakland, CA 94610 – (510) 653-2900 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Liz Drennan
4170 Piedmont Ave c – Oakland, CA 94611 – (510) 594-2090 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Oakland?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
If you receive answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, most likely you have located an insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide car insurance. Just keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can terminate your policy at any point so don’t feel that you are permanently stuck with any specific agency for the full policy term.
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that.
For example, these questions can help discover whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Hummer H2 is totaled?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Insurance policy specifics
Knowing the specifics of your policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are the normal coverages offered by insurance companies.
Comprehensive coverages – Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as vandalism, damage from a tornado or hurricane, rock chips in glass and hitting a deer. The maximum amount your insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Hummer H2.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Normally these limits are set the same as your liability limits.
Coverage for medical payments – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like pain medications, X-ray expenses, doctor visits, chiropractic care and funeral costs. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability insurance – This coverage can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against things such as emergency aid, medical expenses, funeral expenses, structural damage and pain and suffering. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but you should buy higher limits if possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be adequate coverage.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage pays for damage to your H2 resulting from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things like crashing into a building, scraping a guard rail and colliding with a tree. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. You can also raise the deductible on your H2 to save money on collision insurance.
Be persistent to save money
Some insurance companies may not have price quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent insurance agents. Discount Hummer H2 insurance is possible both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection.
We covered a lot of tips how to save on Hummer H2 insurance in Oakland. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates are with a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
More information can be found below:
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Oakland Car Insurance for a Toyota Corolla? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Teenage Females in Oakland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Teachers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Police Officers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for High Mileage Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)