Astonishing but true according to a recent study, 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. Consumers in California can save 35% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to compare other rate quotes.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from companies that sell auto insurance in Oakland. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- It will benefit you to learn about what is in your policy and the measures you can control to drop your rates. Many rating factors that result in higher prices such as accidents, traffic tickets, and poor credit rating can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Keep reading for tips to help find cheaper rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if you can save on GTO insurance. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Tell your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new agent or company. When you receive it, safely store the certificate of insurance in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
A valuable tip to remember is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and to quote with every company you can. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
The following companies have been selected to offer quotes in California. If you want cheap car insurance in Oakland, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to find the lowest rates.
Car insurance in California serves several purposes
Despite the potentially high cost of Pontiac GTO insurance, maintaining insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Pontiac GTO, it’s most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Pontiac at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. It also can pay for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $820 a year so it’s important to compare rates at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
How do Car Insurance Companies Determine Pontiac GTO Insurance Costs?
It’s important that you understand some of the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for insurance. If you understand what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower premium levels. Many different elements are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but other factors are more transparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
The factors shown below are most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
Cheaper prices using GPS tracking and theft deterrents – Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can earn a premium discount. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Only buy coverage you need – There are a lot of add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverages like replacement cost coverage, accident forgiveness, and Farm Bureau memberships are examples of these. You may think they are a good idea initially, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
Never let your insurance policy expire – Not having insurance is a big no-no and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage have a gap. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may then have to file a SR-22 with the California DMV.
Rates can drop if you have more than one policy – Some insurance companies provide discounts to customers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to compare Pontiac GTO rates in Oakland to help guarantee you have the best rates.
Teenagers vs. mature drivers – Teenage drivers in California are known to be inattentive when at the wheel of a vehicle so insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a teenage driver to your insurance policy can increase premiums substantially. Older, more experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
Everyone needs different insurance coverages
Always remember that when buying adequate coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed.
For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you may require specific advice.
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in California?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Ratings for California car insurance companies
Picking a highly-rated auto insurance provider can be challenging considering how many choices there are in Oakland. The company ratings listed below may help you select which insurers you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA of Southern California – 92%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- The General – 88%
- 21st Century – 88%
Compare but don’t skimp
As you shop your coverage around, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Some companies do not offer online price quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents. Cheaper Pontiac GTO insurance in Oakland is available online in addition to many Oakland insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best selection.
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to reduce Pontiac GTO insurance car insurance rates online in Oakland. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding cheaper Oakland car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small local company. Regional companies can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
Additional information can be found on the following sites:
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Immigrants in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Low Credit Scores in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Subaru Outback in Oakland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)