It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find cheaper car insurance rates in Oakland is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers in California. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the changes you can make to lower rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates such as traffic citations and a poor credit rating can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Keep reading for more information to get lower rates and get additional discounts.
- Second, compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple companies. Select a company
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to determine if you can save on Model S insurance. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application for the new coverage. Once the application is submitted, keep your new certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
One tip to remember is to make sure you’re comparing identical deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as feasibly possible. This ensures a fair rate comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Shocking but true, the vast majority of consumers kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Oakland drivers could save an average of up to 35% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most undervalue the large savings they would see if they switch to a new company.
The method we recommend to compare car insurance company rates for Tesla Model S insurance in Oakland takes advantage of the fact auto insurance companies will pay a fee to compare rate quotes. The one thing you need to do is give the companies some data such as the ages of drivers, whether you are single or married, if a SR-22 is needed, and if it has an anti-theft system. Your insurance information is sent automatically to multiple top-rated companies and they provide comparison quotes instantly.
To start a quote now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Oakland.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Oakland, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Even though Oakland Model S insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is mandatory in California but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, most lenders will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Tesla at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Tesla as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having auto insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying more than $800 each year so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Tesla Model S Insurance Rate Factors
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that are used to determine your insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs. Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but some are not as apparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
The itemized list below are some of the most rate-impacting factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
- Lower premiums with continuous coverage – Going without insurance will be a fast way to bump up your insurance costs. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a steep fine or even jail time.
- Premiums may be lower depending on your vocation – Jobs such as military generals, social workers, and accountants usually pay higher rates than the rest of us because of stressful work requirements and incredibly demanding work hours. On the other hand, professions such as scientists, historians and retirees receive lower rates.
- High policy claims frequency drives up premiums – Car insurance companies in California provide discounts to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Do you really need roadside assistance? – There are quite a few optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you don’t pay attention. Coverage for things like replacement cost coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are probably not needed. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
- Battle of the sexes – Statistics demonstrate that females take fewer risks when driving. It does not mean women are better drivers. Both sexes are responsible for accidents at a similar rate, but guys have costlier accidents. Men also tend to receive more major tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
Loss statistics for a Tesla Model S – Car insurance companies analyze the history of losses to help set a rate to offset losses. Vehicles that historically have increased claim numbers or amounts will have increased rates.
The table below illustrates the insurance loss data for Tesla Model S vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is a value of 100. Numbers that are below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are 100 or greater point to more frequent losses or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Tesla Model S Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Tesla Model S 4dr Electric 2WD 324 116 208 39 46 104 Tesla Model S 4dr Electric 4WD 333BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Tesla Model S insurance discounts in Oakland
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every possible discount very clearly, so we researched some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Oakland car insurance online.
- Professional Memberships – Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your next car insurance statement.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings as much as 30%.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a house in Oakland can save you money because of the fact that having a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds that choose to allow their car insurance company to spy on driving manner by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could possibly reduce rates if their driving habits are good.
- Auto/Life Discount – Car insurance companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Oakland car insurance quote than their less cautious counterparts.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
The best car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- State Farm includes discounts for driver’s education, good driver, defensive driving training, good student, and multiple autos.
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-policy, air bags, federal employee, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including drive less, safe driver, multi-car, teen safety rewards, and anti-lock brakes.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for electronic funds transfer, youthful driver, homeowner, early shopping, pay in full, and good student.
- AAA has discounts for multi-policy, multi-car, good driver, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, and good student.
- USAA may include discounts for military installation, driver training, defensive driver, good student, vehicle storage, and annual mileage.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all companies you are considering which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policies in every state. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers that offer multiple discounts in Oakland, click here to view.
What if I want to buy from local Oakland insurance agencies?
A lot of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper prices and still have a local agent. Supporting local agents is especially important in Oakland.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is immediately sent to companies in Oakland who will give competitive quotes to get your business. You won’t need to contact any agents because prices are sent straight to your inbox. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Choosing the best provider requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. A good agent in Oakland will have answers to these questions.
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- How are claims handled?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
Shop around and save
We just showed you many ideas to compare Tesla Model S insurance auto insurance rates in Oakland. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Oakland car insurance, the better chance you’ll have of finding cheaper Oakland car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best price on car insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Some insurance companies may not offer internet price quotes and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agents. Cost effective Tesla Model S insurance is attainable from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Oakland, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as high prices, denial of a claim, policy non-renewal or unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company is actually quite simple.
Additional car insurance information is located on the following sites:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Low Mileage Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for Homeowners? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)