If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to find low-cost auto insurance rates is to regularly compare price quotes from providers who provide car insurance in Oakland. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
First, try to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases such as your driving record and an imperfect credit score can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Read the full article for additional tips to help keep rates affordable and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
Second, request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple sources.
Third, compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find better rates and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, tell your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the newly selected company. When you receive it, put the proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and to quote with as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
It’s easy to assume that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Insureds who get comparison quotes at least once a year will presumably switch companies because they have a good chance of finding lower rate quotes. A survey found that drivers who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved as much as $3,400 over four years compared to policyholders who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the cheapest price on insurance is your ultimate objective, then having an understanding of how to quote prices and compare insurance premiums can save time, money, and frustration.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more rates from different companies will enable you to find the best price.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in Oakland, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Save money by taking advantage of discounts
Some insurers do not advertise the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so the list below contains both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you. If you do not double check each discount available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being on active duty in the military may lower your rates slightly.
- ABS Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Avalon Hybrid insurance in Oakland.
- One Accident Forgiven – This isn’t a discount exactly, but companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying in monthly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Telematics Data – Insureds who allow their car insurance company to track driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Allstate’s Drivewise could see a rate decrease if their driving habits are good.
- Own a Home – Just being a homeowner can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
Policy discounts save money, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
A few companies that may offer policyholders these money-saving discounts include:
Check with every insurance company how you can save money. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in every state. To view providers with discount rates in California, click here to view.
Lower the Price of Car Insurance with These Tips
Lots of things are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility. It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating your premiums. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Never let your car insurance lapse – Going without insurance is a sure-fire way to increase your rates. And not only will your rates increase, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may then be required to file a SR-22 with the California department of motor vehicles.
- Too many claims drive up car insurance rates – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies in California provide cheaper rates to insureds that do not abuse their auto insurance. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Liability insurance limits are a factor – Your policy’s liability coverage will protect you if you are determined to be liable for personal injury or accident damage. Your policy’s liability insurance provides you with a defense in court to attempt to prove you were not liable. It is affordable coverage compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Low comp and collision deductibles mean high rates – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Some examples of covered claims are a dented fender, collision with an animal, and burglary. The deductibles state the amount of money the insured will be required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The more damage repair cost you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Premiums also based on gender – Over the last 30 years, statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Women and men tend to get into auto accidents in similar numbers, but guys have costlier accidents. They also have more aggressive citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
Toyota Avalon Hybrid insurance claim data – Auto insurance companies use historical loss data to calculate a rate that will offset any claims. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher frequency or amount of claims will have higher rates. The next table shows the actual insurance loss data for Toyota Avalon Hybrid vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles compiled together equals 100. Percentages below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentages above 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Toyota Avalon Hybrid Insurance Loss Statistics Specific Toyota Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Avalon Hybrid 120 72 132 107 85 80BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years