Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that a large majority of car insurance policyholders have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Many consumers in California can save 35% each year by just shopping around, but most undervalue how much money they would save if they bought a different policy.
The preferred way to find cheaper prices for car insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers that sell auto insurance in Oakland. You can compare prices by following these guidelines.
- Try to comprehend how auto insurance works and the measures you can control to keep rates low. Many things that result in higher rates like traffic violations, accidents, and a negative credit score can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium to see if cheaper Highlander coverage is available in Oakland. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. As soon as you have the new policy, place your new proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location.
A tip to remember is to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees a level playing field and maximum price selection.
Best Toyota Highlander insurance prices in California
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in California. If you wish to find the best car insurance in CA, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
The rate table displayed next outlines estimates of insurance prices for Toyota Highlander models. Learning as much as possible about how auto insurance policy rates are determined is important to be able to make smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Highlander Sport 4WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Highlander SE 2WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Highlander Sport 2WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Highlander Limited 2WD||$412||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Highlander SE 4WD||$412||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Highlander Limited 4WD||$412||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Highlander Hybrid 4WD||$412||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Highlander Hybrid Limited 4WD||$412||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in Oakland location which can affect coverage rates substantially.
The chart below shows how different deductible levels and can change Toyota Highlander annual premium costs for each different age category. The information is based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no other discounts are factored in.
How careless driving impacts insurance rates
The information below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims can influence Toyota Highlander car insurance costs for different insured age categories. The prices are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Cost difference between full coverage and liability
The example below shows the comparison of Toyota Highlander car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The rate quotes are based on no claims or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There is no definitive rule that is best for determining when to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's assume your Toyota Highlander replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $700 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Discount Oakland car insurance quotes
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but a few need to be requested specifically before you will receive the discount. If you don't get every credit you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can save you some money because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Good Grades Discount - Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not necessarily a discount, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will forgive one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to the accident.
- Employee of Federal Government - Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction depending on your company.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Telematics Devices - Drivers that enable companies to monitor driving habits by using a telematic data system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- E-sign - Some of the larger companies will provide an incentive just for signing your application digitally online.
- Own a Home and Save - Owning a home in Oakland can help you save on car insurance since owning and maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it's just not the way it works. But all discounts should definitely cut your policy cost.
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Toyota Highlander annual premium costs with and without some available policy discounts. The price estimates are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, marriage, multi-car, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Some companies that may offer policyholders these discounts include:
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company the best way to save money. Savings may not be offered in your area.
Informed Consumers Save Money
When buying car insurance it's important to understand some of the elements that are used to determine your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs. Multiple criteria are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but others are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
The itemized list below are some of the items used by companies to determine your prices.
Safety ratings are a factor - Safe vehicles tend to be cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and lower rates of occupant injuries means your insurance company pays less which can result in lower premiums. If your Toyota Highlander scored at minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it may be receiving lower rates.
Minor frequent policy claims are not good - If you file claims often, you shouldn't be surprised to get either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in California give the best rates to people who do not file claims often. Your car insurance is intended for larger claims.
See if your company offers a multi-policy discount - Lots of car insurance companies afford lower prices to insureds that purchase more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it's in your best interest to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
Small coverages can add up - Policies have additional coverages that can waste your money on your Highlander policy. Add-on coverages like vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and term life insurance could be just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas at first, but your needs may have changed so consider taking them off your policy.
Toyota Highlander claim data - Companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Vehicles that historically have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have higher rates for specific coverages. The data below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Toyota Highlander vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is represented as 100. Values that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers above 100 show a trend for more claims or statistically larger claims.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota Highlander 4dr 2WD||88||82||94||94||78||75|
|Toyota Highlander 4dr 4WD||95||86||117||88||74||78|
|Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr 4WD||111||143|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance agents can help
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really isn't a single plan that fits everyone. Your financial needs are unique and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions may help highlight whether or not you could use an agent's help.
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What are the liability requirements in my state?
Local neighborhood Oakland car insurance agents
Some consumers still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get lower prices and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local agents is important particularly in Oakland.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is emailed to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't even need to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. You'll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If for some reason you want to compare prices for a specific company, you can always visit that company's website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Multiple types of car insurance agents in Oakland
If you need to find a good Oakland insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents that you can select. Insurance agencies can either be independent or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. If you need cheaper insurance rates, you will definitely want to get insurance quotes from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with mutual insurance companies which could offer lower prices.
Below is a small list of independent agents in Oakland that may be able to give you rate quotes.
- On My Way Insurance
320 10th St - Oakland, CA 94607 - (510) 893-3298 - View Map
- JCB Insurance Services
6427 Westover Dr - Oakland, CA 94611 - (510) 336-3490 - View Map
- Susan Bernosky - Strahan Ins Services Inc
5940 College Ave a - Oakland, CA 94618 - (510) 450-9051 - View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company like Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes use the same exclusive agent mostly because of the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Oakland who can help you get price quote information.
- Farmers Insurance - Thy Le
745 E 12th St #101 - Oakland, CA 94606 - (510) 465-2029 - View Map
- Judy Chambers - State Farm Insurance Agent
1305 Franklin St #400 - Oakland, CA 94612 - (510) 832-2195 - View Map
- Fernando Valenzuela - State Farm Insurance
1236 30th Ave - Oakland, CA 94601 - (510) 533-9712 - View Map
Finding the right insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Oakland?
- Where are claims handled?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
A little work can save a LOT of money
In this article, we covered a lot of techniques to shop for Toyota Highlander insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company. Smaller companies can often provide lower auto insurance rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
When buying insurance coverage, it's not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn't purchase enough coverage. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Affordable Toyota Highlander insurance in Oakland can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not offer price quotes online and these small, regional companies sell through independent insurance agencies.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Oakland Car Insurance for a Toyota Corolla? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Seniors in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)