Unfortunately, a large majority of drivers have bought car insurance from the same company for well over three years, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. American insurance shoppers could save an average of as much as 47% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe the big savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
The best way to find affordable auto insurance rates is to do a yearly price comparison from providers in Oakland. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- Try to understand policy coverages and the measures you can take to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like traffic violations and poor credit history can be eliminated by paying attention to minor details. Continue reading for more information to help prevent expensive coverage and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing rates and determine if cheaper Prius coverage is available in Oakland. If you can save some money and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current coverage and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the new insurer. Be sure to place your new proof of insurance paperwork with your registration paperwork.
A valuable tip to remember is that you use the same level of coverage on every price quote and and to get rates from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
How to buy Toyota Prius insurance online
The majority of larger companies allow consumers to get prices online. Doing online price comparisons for Toyota Prius insurance in Oakland is very simple as you simply type in the coverages you want as requested by the quote form. Behind the scenes, their quoting system automatically orders your driving and credit reports and generates a price based on the information you submitted. Being able to quote online for Toyota Prius insurance in Oakland streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s also necessary to have as many quotes as possible if you want to find affordable rates.
If you want to fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you duplicate the coverages as close as possible to your current policy. This way, you’re receiving comparison quotes for exact coverage.
The auto insurance companies shown below provide free quotes in Oakland, CA. To buy the cheapest car insurance in Oakland, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get the cheapest price.
Car insurance data for a Toyota Prius
The coverage information below covers a range of insurance costs for Toyota Prius models. Having a good grasp of how premiums are established can help guide drivers when making smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Estimates do not factor in your specific Oakland location which can modify premiums considerably.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Toyota Prius annual premium costs for different ages of insureds. The rates are based on a married male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The diagram below shows the difference between Toyota Prius premium costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The price estimates are based on no accidents or driving violations, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no exact rule for excluding physical damage coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Toyota Prius book value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $600 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When quoting and choosing a policy, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- What is the ISO rating for a Toyota Prius?
- Is there coverage for my trailer?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- What happens if I owe more than my Toyota Prius is worth?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Insurance agent or online?
Many people still like to talk to an insurance agent and we recommend doing that Licensed agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is you can get the best rates and still choose a local agent. Supporting small agencies is important especially in Oakland.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your information is submitted to agents in your area that can give you free Oakland car insurance quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to visit any agencies because prices are sent instantly to you. If you want to quote rates from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Different types of auto insurance agents in Oakland
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reliable insurance agent, there are two different agency structures and how they are distinctly different. Oakland agents can either be exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both provide auto insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the differences since it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Agents of this type are not restricted to one company so they can write business with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing auto insurance prices, we highly recommend that you get quotes from at least one independent agent to maximize your price options.
Listed below are Oakland independent agencies that can give you price quote information.
Thandi Insurance Brokerage
2859 Mandela Pkwy – Oakland, CA 94608 – (510) 452-1566 – View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so you might not find the best rates. These agents are usually well trained on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Oakland that are able to give price quotes.
Finding the right insurance agent should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?