Really, the only way to get more affordable auto insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers in Oakland.
- Try to learn about coverages and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that result in higher rates like multiple speeding tickets and a low credit score can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies. Begin your rate comparison
- Compare the new rates to your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save some money and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your agent or company to cancel your current policy and submit a completed policy application and payment to your new insurance company. Make sure you place the new proof of insurance paperwork with your registration paperwork.
A tip to remember is to try to use similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get price quotes from every insurance company. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
It’s hard to fathom, but a large majority of drivers in California kept buying from the same company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never quoted rates to find affordable coverage. With the average car insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save almost 46.5% every year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just feel it’s too hard to shop their coverage around.
If you have insurance now or want to find a cheaper company, you can use this information to find better prices while maintaining coverages. Finding affordable insurance coverage in Oakland can be easy if you know a few tricks. Smart shoppers only have to learn the least time-consuming way to compare company rates on the web.
Finding a lower price on insurance can be quick and easy. You just need to spend a few minutes comparing free Oakland auto insurance quotes from some recommended companies.
Comparing free price quotes online is easy and it, makes it a waste of time to go to insurance agents’ offices. Quoting Toyota Prius Prime insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you prefer the professional guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Although, it is possible compare online quotes and still use a local agent.
The providers in the list below offer free rate quotes in Oakland, CA. To locate cheap car insurance in CA, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Why you need Toyota Prius Prime insurance in California
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Toyota Prius Prime in Oakland, insuring your vehicle is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, most banks will require that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota for a much higher rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Oakland is overpaying over $869 every year so we recommend shopping around at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Prices
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand some of the things that help calculate the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this enables informed choices that could help you find better auto insurance rates.
The itemized list below are just a few of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rate level.
Lower premiums with theft deterrents – Choosing to buy a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent car theft.
Save money by having excellent credit – Having a good credit rating can be an important factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit history could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Toyota Prius Prime if you improve your credit rating. Drivers with excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with poor credit scores.
Tickets drive up costs – Drivers with clean records pay less for auto insurance than bad drivers. Only having one citation can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers with multiple citations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions might be required by their state to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to legally drive.
Where you call home is a factor – Choosing to live in a rural area can save you money when trying to find low car insurance rates. Drivers in populated areas regularly have much more traffic and more severe claims. Less people translates into fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
Lower rates with a multi-policy discount – Most larger companies give lower prices to people who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you already get this discount, drivers will still want to comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most. Drivers may still find lower rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
Vehicle risk influences costs – The make and model of the car you need to insure makes a big difference in the rate you pay. The lowest premiums are usually for small economy passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Proper usage rating affects prices – The more you drive your Toyota in a year the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time receive better premium rates than cars that get driven a lot. An improperly rated Prius Prime is just wasting money. Ask your agent if your policy shows the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money.
These discounts can slash Toyota Prius Prime insurance rates
Some providers don’t always publicize all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Simply owning a home can save a few bucks since owning and maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Drive Less and Save – Maintaining low annual mileage may allow you to get substantially lower rates.
- Telematics Discount – People who choose to allow driving data submission to scrutinize driving patterns by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might get better premium rates if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive may permit one accident before they charge you more for coverage with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to the accident.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new Prius Prime can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Defensive Driving Course – Passing a class that teaches safe driver techniques may get you a small discount and make you a better driver.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Larger insurance companies have lower premium rates if you buy some life insurance too.
- Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic.
Popular insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- State Farm may have discounts that include good student, student away at school, defensive driving training, driver’s education, and multiple autos.
- Progressive discounts include multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, and online signing.
- MetLife may include discounts for accident-free, defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, good driver, claim-free
- Farm Bureau has savings for multi-vehicle, 55 and retired, multi-policy, youthful driver, and driver training.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for emergency military deployment, federal employee, seat belt use, driver training, multi-vehicle, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO includes discounts for drive less, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, teen safety rewards, accident prevention training, and bundle discounts.
If you want affordable Toyota Prius Prime insurance quotes, ask every insurance company to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts may not be available in Oakland. To choose insurers that offer discounts in California, click this link.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to buying a policy, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For instance, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Is other people’s property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- What policy terms are available?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
What if I want to buy from local Oakland insurance agencies?
Some people would rather go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision Agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain the best rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents that can give you free Oakland auto insurance quotes for your business. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If you wish to compare rates from one company in particular, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurance company is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. Any agent in Oakland should be willing to answer these questions.
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
If you want to buy car insurance from a local Oakland insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they are distinctly different. Agencies in Oakland are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either can provide car insurance policies, but it’s a good idea to understand why they differ since it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents can usually just insure with one company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents are usually well trained on what they offer which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Oakland that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not limited to a single company so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies and find the cheapest rate. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to do anything.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to include independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent agencies in Oakland that can give you price quotes.
Oakland auto insurance company ratings
Selecting a high-quality car insurance company can be rather challenging considering how many companies provide coverage in California. The company rank data in the lists below may help you pick which auto insurance companies you want to consider comparing rates with.
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
Top 10 Oakland Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Lower-priced Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Oakland is possible both online and with local Oakland insurance agents, so get free Oakland auto insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers may not provide rates over the internet and many times these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Consumers switch companies for a variety of reasons including questionable increases in premium, delays in responding to claim requests, lack of trust in their agent or even being labeled a high risk driver. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
More information can be found below:
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Felons in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Oakland Auto Insurance for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Female in Oakland? (FAQ)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)