The preferred way to get affordable Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies in Oakland.
- Try to learn a little about individual coverages and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that increase rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and poor credit history can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article gives more ideas to find cheap rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the new quotes to your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Oakland. If you can save money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your intention to cancel the current policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new agent or company. Be sure to safely store the proof of insurance certificate somewhere easily accessible.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to compare the same level of coverage on every quote and and to get rates from as many companies as possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
A recent study showed that a large majority of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rates from other carriers. Drivers in Oakland could save nearly $500 each year just by shopping around, but most undervalue how much they could save if they switch to a new company.
The following companies have been selected to offer price quotes in Oakland, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the lowest price.
Don’t overlook these nine Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there could be available discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some discounts will apply when you purchase, but some must be asked for in order for you to get them.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used Rav4 Hybrid may earn a small discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay less when compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- Low Miles Discount – Driving fewer miles could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Sign Online – Certain larger companies may give you up to $50 just for signing your application on the web.
- Oakland Homeowners Pay Less – Owning your own home or condo can save a few bucks because owning a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Memberships – Being in qualifying clubs or civic groups could trigger savings on your policy.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of up to 25% or more.
As a footnote on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Some companies that may offer quotes with these money-saving discounts include:
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
When comparing rates, check with every company which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere. To see a list of auto insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Oakland, click this link.
Local Oakland auto insurance agents
A lot of people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is a smart decision Good agents can answer important questions and will help you if you have claims. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can find lower prices but also keep your business local. And supporting local agencies is important particularly in Oakland.
After completing this simple form, the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to leave your house because prices are sent to your email. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
When researching a good Oakland insurance agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Oakland can be described as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can write auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the differences since it could factor into your agent selection.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies can sell policies from many different companies so they can quote policies with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If they find a cheaper price, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you definitely need to include a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates. Most also write with different regional companies which can be an advantage.
Featured below is a list of independent agencies in Oakland who may be able to give you comparison quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Ruby Joyce Barnett
440 Grand Ave #450 – Oakland, CA 94610 – (510) 251-3800 – View Map
- Susan Bernosky – Strahan Ins Services Inc
5940 College Ave a – Oakland, CA 94618 – (510) 450-9051 – View Map
- Western-Southern Life Insurance Co
80 Swan Way # 102 – Oakland, CA 94621 – (510) 877-4119 – View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They generally cannot provide other company’s prices so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents receive extensive training on sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Some insured continue to use the same exclusive agent primarily because of the prominent brand name rather than low rates.
Shown below are exclusive agencies in Oakland that are able to give price quotes.
- Kristen Law – State Farm Insurance Agent
3940 High St c – Oakland, CA 94619 – (510) 530-3200 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Mahir Abdul-Haqq
4267 Masterson St – Oakland, CA 94619 – (510) 530-8502 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Scott Halbrook
1433 Leimert Blvd – Oakland, CA 94602 – (510) 531-1432 – View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- How are they compensated?
- Who are their largest clients?
- How are claims handled?
After receiving acceptable answers for all questions you ask as well as the cheapest Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance in Oakland quotes, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that can be trusted to adequately provide auto insurance. Keep in mind you are entitled to cancel your policy for any reason so don’t think you’re contractually obligated to any particular company with no way to switch.
Auto insurance coverage options for a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid
Having a good grasp of auto insurance can help you determine which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Rav4 Hybrid caused by collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb, backing into a parked car, crashing into a building and colliding with another moving vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your Rav4 Hybrid to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for immediate expenses for nursing services, doctor visits, hospital visits, X-ray expenses and EMT expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers you and your occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like hitting a bird, theft and rock chips in glass. The maximum amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for claims such as bail bonds, legal defense fees, structural damage and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Toyota Rav4 Hybrid.
Due to the fact that many California drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Don’t give up on cheaper premiums
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, policy non-renewal, being labeled a high risk driver or even poor customer service. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company is less work than it seems.
When buying insurance coverage, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can compare Toyota Rav4 Hybrid insurance rates in Oakland. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest rates are with some of the lesser-known companies.
Much more information about insurance in California is available at these links:
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)