It’s a fact that auto insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Consumers who shop around for better prices are highly likely to switch auto insurance companies because they have good chances of finding more affordable rates. Remarkably, a study showed that people who regularly shopped around saved on average $860 a year compared to people who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the most affordable car insurance is your objective, knowing how to choose a company and compare insurance premiums can help make the process easier.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find discount Volkswagen Atlas insurance is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from companies in Oakland. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about auto insurance and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause high rates like inattentive driving and a bad credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Later in this article we will cover tips to help prevent expensive coverage and find missing discounts.
- Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple insurance companies. View prices
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide proper notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new company or agent. Immediately safely store the certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
One tip to remember is that you use identical coverage information on each price quote and and to get prices from every insurance company. Doing this enables the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Locating the best rates in Oakland is not that difficult. If you are insured now or are looking for a new policy, you can use this information to buy cheaper auto insurance without having to cut coverage. Smart buyers just need to use the most efficient way to buy auto insurance online.
Best companies for Volkswagen Atlas insurance
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide price comparisons in Oakland, CA. If you want to find the best auto insurance in Oakland, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Discount Oakland car insurance quotes
Some providers don’t always list all discounts very well, so the following list contains both the well known and also the more inconspicuous savings tricks you should be using when you buy Oakland auto insurance online.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Theft Deterrent – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are less likely to be stolen and will save you 10% or more on Atlas insurance in Oakland.
- Accident Free – Oakland drivers who stay claim-free pay much less as opposed to drivers who are more careless.
- Distant Student – Older children who are attending college and do not take a car to college may be able to be covered for less.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings since owning and maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way. But any discount will reduce your premiums.
A few companies that may offer many of the previously listed discounts include:
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. Some credits may not be available in Oakland.
Shop online but buy locally
Many people would prefer to have an agent’s advice and we recommend doing that Professional insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the quote information gets sent to companies in Oakland who will return price quotes for your business. You won’t even need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent directly to you. If you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding a good provider shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
Educate yourself about insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are the normal coverages found on most insurance policies.
Collision insurance covers damage to your Atlas resulting from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things such as crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door, crashing into a building and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also increase the deductible on your Atlas in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (California limits are 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
This pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like hitting a deer, rock chips in glass and hail damage. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
Medical expense coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for funeral costs, prosthetic devices, surgery and chiropractic care. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 15/30/5 that means you have a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like medical services, funeral expenses, repair costs for stationary objects, legal defense fees and court costs. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Smart shoppers get results
The cheapest Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Oakland is definitely available from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop Oakland auto insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not provide online quoting and most of the time these smaller providers only sell through independent agencies.
When searching for affordable Oakland auto insurance quotes, don’t be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Much more information about insurance in California can be read at these links:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Sonata in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenage Males in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Oakland Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Subaru Outback in Oakland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Oakland Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)